1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Guy from Arvada, Colorado

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by SammySway, Jun 21, 2011.

1. SammySway

SammySway New Member

Hi my name is Sam i recently just acquired a 1988 Chevy C2500 2wd with a 5.7l V8 it runs pretty good only has 110K miles on it im looking to find out common problems and worth while upgrades to do to it. Just looking for some overall advice. I'm in Colorado and i work as a entry level mechanic so i have the tools and work area to accomplish some thing ha ha.
  2. 98Hotrod98

98Hotrod98 New Member

Welcome Aboard!
    you should be able to find all you need here, there are plenty of good guys on here!
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome aboard!!
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, Sam. Sounds like a sweet truck (only 110,000 miles). I would start with the basics, new air&fuel filters, pcv valve, cap,rotor, spark plugs & wires, oil and transmission fluid change, clean the throttlebody (don't use carb cleaner) and change rear end fluid. Most people on this site have found that GM's seem to like A/C Delco spark plugs.
  5. sgtsjj

sgtsjj New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site, sounds like you found a pretty good truck
  6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!! I grew up in Arvada (went to Pomona).
  7. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club Sam. I have an '88 C-3500 2wd & can't think of any common problems related to that year. Just normal maintenance stuff for 100K miles. They're a little underpowered with the stock heads, exhaust, & throttle body, but that's an easy fix.
  8. SammySway

SammySway New Member

Thanks for the nice welcome everyone, I just got all the basics done, and then noticed a small leak in the radiator so im also doin a water pump and thermostat as well now i had a question about the plugs is a relly big difference between ngk or champion or the ac delco plugs?
  9. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !
  10. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

The spark plugs aren't a big deal on engines as old as ours Sam. Run whatever you like. It's the newer ones that like AC Delcos.