New guy from Missouri

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Busted Knuckles, May 6, 2009.

1. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles New Member

Hey folks , great site !!
    I went out and bought a 96' Tahoe LT with 178K in March . By April the brakes were done and the engine pulled to re-seal it . At the time I put in a complete hotter ignition,single row roller timing set and detailed the engine .
    It took me a month and I drove it for the first time last night . It would "Huck and Buck" then stall either driving or at a stop .Hit passing gear and the tach would jump all over the place and die .
    I took it into a dealership and to hook it up to the tester and time it was $108.00 . Turned out my Crank Sensor went "Tango Uniform" (T!T$-UP) . They wanted $168.00 for parts and install .
    I called an O'Reilly's Pars Store and I got a Bosch sensor for $75.00 and did it myself .
    Problem solved ... But I still have "service engine soon" lit up . Dealership said to drive it a few days and see if the light goes out , if not I may have O2 Issues or O2 Heater Issues . I know what the sensors are but not the O2 heaters are (I've been restoring Classic Cars for years) and this is the second truck with EFI that I've ever owned . So I'm on a sharp learning curve .
    I've got all the suspesion bushings, front steering parts/shocks and a Magnaflow Dual In/Single out to add to the mix .
    By fall I'll have new Spun Metallic Cat. Converters installed (found a site that offers the same thing as Summit/Jegs for $55.00 ea.
    I like the truck but it's been a "Hanger Queen" for too long . Pretty disheartning .
    I've also got the ABS light on constantly .
    Can someone recommend an anylizer that won't break the bank ?
    Thanks ,
    Steve

2. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you've gotten deep into fixing up the Tahoe. On the '96 350R engines, there are a set of 02 sensors infornt of and downstream of the catalitic converters. One set of these may be considered o2 heaters, but that is just a guess. Good luck!

4. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the GMTC. Sounds like you've already started taking well care of your 'Hoe. As for the o2 heaters... with my limited knowledge, I'm with Bob on this one. Maybe they are referring to a particular set of o2 sensors. Have you thought of going to oreilly's and asking them to borrow their scanner? I believe all (at least all of them around Branson) have the scanner that they loan out if you leave your driver's license with them. Maybe you can findd your own code and see what it truly says? Just a thought. Good luck with the remaining issues!

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

From may days on V6Z24 the heated O2 referred to the style of O2 sensor, the old V6 didnt have them but you could rig them up very easy(I never did, just read about it), they helped the car go into a closed loop to help heat the engine up quicker.

6. plumber_rob

plumber_rob Rockstar 100 Posts

Welcome to the site.

7. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site Steve!

8. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

9. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles New Member

Newbie-Thanks for the welcome !

Yeah we have an O'Reillys in Mountain Grove . I think they have a "Loaner" Reader there . This electronic stuff befuddles me severly ! I'm a Dinosaur Mechanic .
    I priced all 4 O2 Sensors and they're about $250.00 after taxes .I'm heading to West Plains to the VA clinic there this AM,so I'll see how it's running . So far I've gotten 18.9 mpg fighting winds to and from Poplar Bluff in March before I put in the ignition etc. .
    How long does it take for the ECM to relearn it's programming ? It was disconnected for almost a month .
    We're in a deep valley here that's prone to flooding and trees dropping on a regular basis . I try to keep our vehicles in very good condition forthat just in case moment .It's pretty vicious here during severe weather . Got to have a work horse ready to cross creeks and pull trees out of the road etc .
    The Tahoe fits the bill so far though , I wish it had 3.73's instead of the 3.42's . Mileage would drop but heavier hauling would be a benefit .
    Let ya know how it goes . I'm not into Hot Rodding it , It need to be a worker with good road manners .

10. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!!!!

If the service engine light has not gone out after a week of normal driving then it more than likely will not. I have never clocked the mileage on a relearn but it has always taken less than a week on all my vehicles and I only drive 2 miles to and from work. Plus misc runs so roughly 20 miles a day