1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

new guy from tn

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by ccozart09, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ccozart09

ccozart09 New Member

Howdy. Im new on here from tn. I am a born and bred chevrolet lover. My dad raised me that way. All i have ever owned is chevys. I have always tinkered with stuff since i was little. I eventually started workin in a small mechanic shop. Im no professional but i can hold my own for the most part. I currently work for a local HVAC contractor. I have a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4x4 with the Vortec 8100 8.1L/496c.i. V8 with a ZF S6-650 6 Speed Manual Trans. I got the truck on a deal. It came from florida and had some problems but ive made it my own. There is a couple problems i cant figure out though. I quickly figured out the trans would not go into 6tb gear. It would go to where it felt like 6th would be but it wouldnt grab itwould just grind and pop back out. Some people have said bent shift fork and some said synchronizer. I dont know. And then now i had my temp sensor mess up the other day. The motor would miss and carry on and the temp hand would bounce up and down. I replaced the sensor and it fixed it for about a week now back to the same thing. It will stay at 160 then all the sudden it will jump up to temp and then go back down, all the while the motor is buckin and jumpin revvin up and down. Ive tried tracing the wires but im not sure what to look for. Ive been researching but cant figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. ahm1127

ahm1127 New Member 100 Posts

Welcome. Nice ride once you get it running well.
    Did you clean any of the ground wires? Thats where I would start, there are a few of them & corrosion & paint ruin the connection.
    Heres some info on your Trans; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_S6-650_transmission. I would rebuild your synchros on your truck, manual transmissions are pretty simple.
    Good luck
  3. ccozart09

ccozart09 New Member

Hey thanks. It has been running fine until now. And which ground wires? I have an extra green wire coming off the sensor itself but im not sure what its for. I have a yellow and a blue wire in the factory plug but no wire for the slot where the green wire goes in the sensor side of the plug?
  4. ccozart09

ccozart09 New Member

Have you ever took one of these zf trans apart? I have never been inside one
  5. ahm1127

ahm1127 New Member 100 Posts

Remove every ground wire usually black or braided wires. Connected to battery, engine, firewall, fender & chassis.
    I have not, its one of the more complex but only cause of yhe pump. They are fairly straightforward & simple. Watch YouTube before you do it yourself
  6. silverhobey

silverhobey Member 100 Posts

Welcome aboard....wow, an 8.1 HD.....wow, I'd love to not pay the gas for that....lol..
    Brian from Canada...:glasses:
  7. ccozart09

ccozart09 New Member

Eh it aint that bad. Fuel injection has came so far it gets about the same as my 91 model 4.3...