Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

new guy here, i got a code 171 and 174

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by fnoblitt, Nov 11, 2011.

1. fnoblitt

fnoblitt New Member

my 2000 silverado has been a little slow to start up latey. check engine light came on today. has a code 0171 and 0174, i looked them up and it's a lean right and left bank. i'm not that great on diagnosing problems so i did what i knew. i changed the fuel filter(was very dirty), cleaned the map sensor screen(just a little dusty), cleaned the throttle body, and washed& dryed the reuseable air filter(very dirty). changed the oil and filter while i was at it. cleared the codes and drove the truck. the check engine light came on again. so now what might it be? i had the fuel pump replaced about 3 months ago.when it was taking a while to start.
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Trouble Codes P0171 and P0174 are telling you there's an Issue(Running Lean)with the.....02 Sensor's......on both upstream 02 Sensor's, IIRC which are located before the.....Catalytic Converters.
  3. fnoblitt

fnoblitt New Member

i replaced all 4 o2 sensors about 6 months ago when i had a calitic code. could these go bad or get dirty this soon ?
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I would double check the connections, also what brand of 02 Sensor's did you install??
  5. fnoblitt

fnoblitt New Member

i got them from rock auto,made overseas,can't remember the brand. i'm going outside now to pull them, and see what they look like
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Those codes and your driving symptoms are classic for low fuel pressure. Get a gauge and test it.
  7. fnoblitt

fnoblitt New Member

i've never done that before. is it a simple procedure to do ? if it is, i'll go down to autozone and see if they have a gauge that will work on my truck