1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New guy here needing help with an Astro van

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by DoDaddy, Nov 21, 2012.

1. DoDaddy

DoDaddy New Member

Hello,
    My name is Thom. Hello to everyone here. My son hooked up a new battery in his 1990 Chevy Astro van backwards and smoke rolled from under the hood. He said it seemed to come from the top area of the engine. After hooking the battery up correctly, the engine will turn over, however, it will not start. I do not smell any gas at all while cranking the engine. However, there is fire to the plugs. Checked the fuses. The ECM-B fuse was blown, changed that one out. However, that didn't change the situation. Any help here would be appreciated.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to GMTC. I would start by checking out all the important fuses. Fuel pump, ECM, and ignition. I am sure someone else will have more suggestions soon
  3. DoDaddy

DoDaddy New Member

Hello Pikey and thanks for the welcome. Hope your Thanksgiving is going well. Thanks for responding.
  4. Revredneck

Revredneck New Member

Reversing the battery terminals lets the smoke out of lots things on cars. I've seen entire electrical systems ruined, including PCM, ignition controls, radio, alternator, and any other electronic component on there ruined. You'll need to check every single system out on it. So sorry to hear about your luck here.
    Good Luck and God Bless