1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

new guy: looking for info on buying diesel Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Andrew McDonald, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Andrew McDonald

Andrew McDonald New Member

Hi all, fng here. I'm looking for some guidance on buying a diesel Suburban. I know how to inspect a used car, including 4x4's, but I know *nothing* about diesel engines. I'm basically looking at an older truck, something in the $7k and under range. I'm guessing that puts me in either a pre-91, or possibly something from the 92-99 generation.

I get that the later models had the 6.5 turbo, is there anything bad I should know about either engine setup with the Suburban?

Thanks for helping a new guy!
  2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Only thing I would do different than a gasser looking at one, is make sure they haven't started it before you got there so you can see how it starts cold. After it's running pull the oil fill cap off and see if there's any smoke coming out. A little is OK but if it looks like a locomotive it's bad.