New guy on the block

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by toxophilite, Feb 18, 2013.

1. toxophilite

toxophilite New Member

Hey guys! I found this forum while hunting for info on how to change/replace the rear inner axle seals on my 01 silverado dually. Good info! I was not able to find a Chiltons or Haynes manual covering the 3500 axles, brakes etc. As usual, I forgot that I could access the internet to find the info I needed. Anyways, I have an 01 Silverado dually with the 8.1 in it. Has 60,000 miles on it. Truck seems to be in good shape. Purchased it off Craigs list. Came out of Chicago. I flew down and picked it up, drove thru MPLS and picked up my little sister and drove the Ak highway back home. Got approx 13 mpg for the whole trip. I found afew things that I knew I needed to repair once I got home. The brake pedal was kindof soft so I wanted to check all 4 corners of the truck. Started with the rear and found both rear rotors had been turned at some point in its life but they were sooo badly rusted and pitted that I just chose to replace them. Thats when I stumbled across this forum on how to correctly replace those inner seals. The previous owner had also installed load range D tire on the front. Knew I had to get rid of those since I carry a heavy camper on the truck in the summer time. I also installed air bags on the rear axle. Added Bilstein shocks all around too. Next year I need to put new tires on the truck. I am frustrated with the few tire size options available. I attribute this to the OEM rims that Chevy chose to install back in 01. Would like to put bigger/taller tires on but it looks like I might have to eith use spacers (which I have mixed emotions about) or purchase new rims (costly)

One last thing, upon arrival in MPLS, I was dealing with a constant serpentine belt squeal that I knew I didnt want to hear the whole way up the Alcan. I replaced the belt and both tensioner pulleys before leaving MPLS. The squeal went away and I thought I had conquered the problem. But,,,the squeal came back as I got close to AK and It continues to this day. Now, it doesnt continuosly squeal, just at startup when everything is cold and slowly goes away as the engine gets warm. Any thoughts/expert advice would be greatly appreaciated.
    Oh, and by the way, I love the 8.1!

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome! :great:

3. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you here. :glasses: I have an 02 1500 with the 5.3 but I had the same problem at one point and it turned out to be the A/C belt tensioner on the bottom. Good luck with your new to you truck. :great:

4. Hank420

Hank420 New Member

Welcome to the site! :great:

5. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !