Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

new guy: Stephen King, 1997 K2500, 7.4L Suburban

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Stephen King, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Stephen King

Stephen King New Member

HI: I am joining becasue I need some advice!

I have 1997 K2500 Sub with the 7.4 liter in it. I have added a cold air intake, cat back exhaust, and Iridium plugs. I am going to add an MSD ignition this month. I really like travelling in this, it is solid, good ride, good visibility.

Is there any way to get the gas milage up from 13\15 MPG? We don't use this vehicle very much except for lumber yard runs, some winter commuting and the occasional long trip. I can retire so I see myself doing a lot of travelling in the future, plus my mom is 8 hours away.

So the question is what else can I do to up the MPG? I can add headers later on, would that help?

One alternative I have read about is taking out the 454 (its 15 years old) and replacing it with an up to date 383 either supercharged or not. Another was to replace the 454 with a supercharged 350 fuel injected.

Or should I just go for a late model K1500 and replace the stock engine with a crate engine?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to GM Truck Club! :great:

If you don't get a response in the next day or so on this then I recommend posting your inquiry in the 'Technical Forums' section as appropriate to the type of issue you have ... or in the 'GM Platforms' section specific to your vehicle. You'll reach a wider group of the forum members that way ... and target your inquiry more directly to those who might already have experience with it.

3. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, someone should be able to help you. do what surreal said and re-post

4. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you aboard. :glasses:

5. Bighornkid

Bighornkid Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hi, welcome to the club. Wish I got 15mpg with my big block.

6. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !

7. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club!