1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New guy who knew better...

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by fifty_2pickup, Sep 23, 2008.

1. fifty_2pickup

fifty_2pickup New Member

Hi!
    Just found this site, and had to join to see what I can learn about these Suburbans. I just got mine about a month ago, an '88 with only 48,000 miles on it, and like it a lot except for brutal gas mileage and a few quirky trim things it has. Mine's a 5.7 liter, automatic, 2wd, with a tow package and a 40 gallon gas tank, which luckily I won't need to fill that often. If anyone has tips on increasing gas mileage, I'd be quite interested. I knew that this thing wouldn't be the cheapest critter to drive, but I couldn't pass it up, it was in such beautiful condition... I just took about a 400 mile run to take my youngest to college, and I'm almost afraid to check the mileage. I ran through around 30 gallons, if the gauge is accurate! :neutral: Nice running truck though... for 13.3 mpg.....
  2. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the forum!! 13.3 MPG doesn't sound too bad for an '88. Of course, I could be wrong. As far as improving your gas mileage, you can never go wrong with the popular trio of intake, exhaust, and programmer (or custom tune). There's lots of information about all three on this site. Try doing some searches and I bet you'll find what you're looking for. If not, just ask! Good luck!
  3. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! You will enjoy your Suburban. I have an 87 Blazer with the same setup (5.7 TBI, 700R40) and what i did to boost performance and economy is a performance chip, throttle body spacer, better breathing air cleaner (I just turned my lid upside down and it made a big difference) , and even dual exhaust.
  4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site! There are a lot of "Sub's" showing up on the site. I see some really good deals around here on them. Good luck!
  5. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site :sign0016: