1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New guy who needs some help with my burban!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Ubersoldate, May 6, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Ubersoldate

Ubersoldate New Member

Hey guys, been a long time reader so I thought Id ask about my suburban issue here, since Ive been tearing my hair out trying to figure it out...

1986 suburban, 2 inch lift, 4.10 gears...
    Transmission was rebuilt last year, and the rear pinion shaft seal has given me issues ever since.
    I changed the seal out myself, and it leaked so I figured I did it wrong or it possibly had a bur or another issue.
    Took it to a local shop this time, they did it, said no issues, week later, its leaking again.
    The truck was a half ton but was converted to 3/4 axles last year.
    Seems to not have any other issues, but a slight chirp when I give it gas from the rear pumpkin. and it feels like there is a little play but nothing to serious..

Sorry about the book of a post, but I just am tired of leaving oil tracks where ever I go and I cant seem to find one person who might have an idea, but I dont want to replace the seal again untill I figure it out...

Thanks in advance guys and gals..
    Kev
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site! I hope someone here can give you some advice. I have an 87 Blazer but have only had the driveline replaced and have not worked on the differential at all so no advice from me.
  3. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the GMTC, Kev! Lots of Sub's on the site, so maybe someone can give you some help.
  4. Ubersoldate

Ubersoldate New Member

Thanks guys!
    Well I broke her down again, this time really cleaning and polishing the pinion face where I noticed a really small groove...
    Its shiny enough to see yourself in now!
    But its been two days and she is holding, no leaks as of yet!

I think with that seal that is the end of the mechanical work on the truck, shes got a new motor, new tranny, and more new parts than I can imagine at this point, so now its on to the body work and paint!:gasp:
  5. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member 100 Posts

Thats awsome , i hope the problem is taken care of! Im looking forward to seeing some before and after pics on the body work and paint!