1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Guy with a LR4 or LY2 question.

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by n5ujj1, Apr 11, 2009.

1. n5ujj1

n5ujj1 New Member

Like most who join forums, I have a question right off the bat.:money:

I just got a sweet deal on a used 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic W/T w/h a 4.8L Vortec (Low Mileage). This was the year that Chevy rolled over to the NEXT Generation (IV) 4.8 LY2 from the Gen III LR4. The LY2 is rated at 295 hp (220 kW) and 305 ft·lbf (414 N·m) of torque. I hope this is the engine it has but I can't figure out the codes under the hood or cross them anywhere. The Label only says 4.8L. The truck has many upgrades including the complete towing package. It has the original window sticker. I found it in the glove box. The sticker has no mention of the Generation of 4.8L either.

Here's my question: How do I find out which engine my '07 has? LR4 or LY2? Is it embedded in the VIN number?

BTW, my family has always been members of the Bow Tie Club. We've owned Chevy's going back three generations. I'm Chevy to the bone. I hope they can pull out of this situation they are in now. My fingers are crossed.

Glad I found this group. As a professional electronics repair dude since 1971 and a fair shade tree wrench, maybe I can chime in with words of wisdom from time to time. Here's one - "Don't use crimps on wire connections - Solder everything then insulate with Heat Shrink tubing."
  2. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member 100 Posts

Did you check the code sticker in the glove box? look for one of those numbers on that big ole list if you haven't already. other than that, i dont know. maybe someone else can help a little more.

welcome to the club! i'm a die hard chevy guy myself.
  3. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site! Like "Carpenter Guy" said, check the list on the glove box door. Good luck!
  4. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  5. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site!!
  6. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  7. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

welcome to the site
  8. omegafiler

omegafiler New Member 100 Posts

If it's the New body style GMT-900 truck, then it should have the gen4 LY2 4.8l engine. I'd suggest calling your dealer, typically the service department and just have them check for ya. If they're cool, they'll even print out a build sheet for you with all of the RPO codes listed. Quite handy.

And welcome to the forum!
  9. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

welcome to the site
  10. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the forum!