1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Head Unit in 03 Silverado

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by KyleZ71, Dec 17, 2011.

1. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Morning everyone,
    I've replaced my two door speakers yesterday with 2.5" Sony Xplode speakers and today I will replace the two in the extended doors. Now im looking to replace my head unit in my Silverado. I was looking at the 6 disc factory unit (mine is only one) but I know I will not have the best audio possible. Problem is I am looking to this summer to replace my steering wheel with one with the controls built in. I don't need to have gps nav or a computer for a radio. If I went aftermarket it would be just a cd changer with a usb port for my ipod. Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

3. KyleZ71

I was looking at that yesterday and didnt even no it could do that! I no they make the kits that gives u a pocket underneith but is their ones that dont have the pocket? I think that space looks so..cheep.
  4. Red Z71 Max

I think that most dash kits leave a storage pocket to fill the void left by a single DIN unit. I have not seen any double DIN units that have the internel iPod storage. I do agree with you though. If the truck had a double DIN as most newer GMs do, they do look better with an aftermarket double DIN!!
  5. KyleZ71

Yeah I know what you mean. I no im not the only one out there, so for everyone running a single din aftermarket radio, what did you do to mount it.
  6. Red Z71 Max

7. KyleZ71

Thanks for the help man. I thought all double dins were just like the touch screen does everything ones. Im gonna look at these alot more now.
  8. Red Z71 Max

No problem. There alot of great options out there if you look around!!! Good luck
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Why not get a Kenwood with Garmin sat nav? They have a USB input which you could easily mate to one of these to produce a flush, OEM fit in your dash somewhere: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MW6HRO/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

If cost is an issue perhaps you should look into a factory refurbished unit. Here's one for 500 bucks: http://www.salectronics.com/detail....er=googleads&gclid=CI2A3f-Bi60CFQ9Y7AodB1z8lA

Food for thought.

Surreal

P.S. I have that very flush-mount connector and love it.
  10. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I like that connector. I have a kenwood dnx7180 nav unit coming as a Christmas gift... My mom had to spill the beans after the pioneer avic-z130 ended up being back ordered. I want to get connector like that to tuck away (probably in or behind my glove box) so that I can have a USB port rather than a loose cable end to be able to easily switch between iPod and a flash drive for updates, backgrounds, and boot screens.

Anyway, now that that's been said, I agree with Kyle that the single din with the pocket beneath looks cheap. Anything else will look good and sound better than factory, especially if you don't have Bose. As a side note though, I don't think the factory 6 disc would work if you don't have Bose because I've never seen a truck without Bose that has the 6 disc