1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Head Unit need help with adapters

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by aloxdaddy99, May 17, 2012.

1. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I just bought a Kenwood DNX 6980 for my wife's 07 Saturn Vue. It has factory XM in it now. I would like to keep that and tie it into the new head unit. It also has Onstar (of which I am not a fan but for safety I keep it in her car). I need some insight from the audio guru's on this. I called Crutchfield and they don't have any adapters to make this happen. I also called PAC. No luck. They have something for the 08's but nothing for 07. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What's the XM interface into the head unit look like? How does this compare with the connection coming out of the Vue's XM unit?
  3. aloxdaddy99

I am not sure I know what you are talking about when you ask about the interface. I haven't received the new head unit yet nor have I pulled the stock one out. I was hoping to gather the parts needed for the install than do the work. As this is a surprise for the boss lady I need as little car down time as possible. I ordered the SWC control, wire harness, installation kit and park brake bypass.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well, on my head unit I had to order a separate cable (not included with head unit ... and not included with Sirius device) to connect Sirius to the unit. I learned this in advance of purchasing the unit by combing through the installation manual. I don't know what the input/connection point for XM is like on your head unit or if you need a special cable for XM, but you will need -some- kind of connection to the head unit either from aftermarket XM or from the OEM unit.

So your first order of business should probably be finding out how you connect XM to the head unit. Once you know that then your next order of business should be finding out if the existing XM unit's connection to the Vue's head unit ... matches what you need. If so, great. If not, you either find something to adapt it, have a custom adaptor cable made, or replace the stock unit with an aftermarket XM unit and make sure you have the necessary connecting cable for it to tie into the head unit.
  5. aloxdaddy99

From all my searching today I came up with an answer. Not the one I was hoping for but an answer non the less. I was not able to find an adapter so I have to buy a new XM unit and adapter as Surreal said. It isn't that bad of a price which is a good thing. I will be around $100. I just need to decide which one I want. man have car stereo installations gotten complicated.