New Head Unit

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by blueZ71, Feb 2, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. blueZ71

blueZ71 New Member 100 Posts

I'm pretty excited I just bought a new head unit for the truck! http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDA9884/Alpine-CDA-9884.html?search=cda-9884&tp=5684 Anyone else have this deck? I figured it was time, about half the buttons on the stocker didn't work, the most irritating one being the backwards seek button. What you missed a track on the cd? Gotta go all the way through again sorry bud.. I hope this iPod direct connection is all it's cracked up to be.

Crutchfield is sending a trim piece to fill in the gaps around the single din unit but I was curious if anyone knows where I can buy a trim piece with a cubby hole below it? It'd be nice to drill a hole in the back of the cubby/pocket and route the iPod cable through that and just set the iPod in the cubby. If not no biggie it'll go in the glove box.

I'll post some pics once it's all finished should be getting it this weekend!
  2. iamtheparagon

iamtheparagon New Member

Great choice my fellow GM owner. Alpine is all I like really. I like other sounds but it's just something I've always bought. Don't know where you buy that though sorry.
  3. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I just bought an alpine from crutchfield, mine is about 2 steps down from yours but its for my beater/work car, but i love it.
  4. StillMatic

StillMatic New Member 100 Posts

Alpine has always delivered crisp highs from my standpoint. I was gonna go with the Alpine IDA-X100 HERE, but decided not to.
    I'm running an Eclipse CD7100 found here and there ain't too many head units sounding as good as these out there today. Plus it has all the built in features I need. I have the Sirius Satellite and the iPod adaptor. I may get the bluetooth adaptor and the Navigation hook-up just to complete it. Besides that the security on these are unbelievable. Even if someone steals it, they still can't use it without knowing your code! yes they are pricey, but you definately get every penny you paid!

[​IMG]
  5. Hwy St*r

Hwy St*r New Member

I just had a Kenwood MP208 installed in my '05 Silverado. The mounting plate/adapter (whatever you want to call it) has a nice little 'cubbie' type hole right underneaththe headunit. Big enough to fit at least 3 cd cases and would probably work great for you. Suggestion: if you have a Circuit City near you all their car stereo installation kits are 50% off. Saw one in East Brunwick NJ unfortunately right after I installed the new stereo. They also have the GM0S-01 wiring harness which you probably will need or something like it again all 50% off of course again just after I bought one for $85 :money:. Ahh the story of my life always a day late and a dollar short.

:star: Keep Drivin' -Pete.
  6. iamtheparagon

iamtheparagon New Member

Sorry to hear that buddy. I just bought Some Alpine speakers for my truck. Fronts and rears for extended cab. I hear the extended cab will be tough. I just want to buy a head unit and the cables befor eI put the speakers in. Then when it's call said and done I'll start buying a sub or two and an amp. Depends. I got an X Series for the fronts so it'll be giving me plenty of power. I listen to rock and metal and what not, so I don't think I'm oing to need crazy subs anyway. Probably just one 10".
  7. blueZ71

So I'm loving this unit. I've had it in for about a week now and she's been treating me real nice like. For some odd reason my blown factory speakers even sound better through this unit =\ Maybe it's the fact I've got a direct connection to my iPod instead of through the FM transmitter.. Anyhow, install was a breeze and I highly recommend crutchfield to anyone (seriously if you use crutchfield let me know they have some sort of referal program where you can save 20 bucks.)

I haven't taken a picture of it after putting the dash back together I'll get around to that. I still need to clean it too the previous owner got coffee BEHIND THE DASH!! I'm sick of all this coffee I swear to god.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Next on the list is a set of Alpines for the front rated at 110 RMS at 4 ohms which I chose because I found an amp when I took out the backseat to clean the coffee stains and it can put out 100Wx2(RMS) at 4 ohms. I figure I'll be able to crank the hell out of those speakers with a whole amp powering just two of them. Eventually I'll drop some 12's in under the rear bench seat but that's probably a ways off.

[​IMG]

Honestly though, this is my first time meddling with car audio so if anyone foresees a problem in my plan please let me know. So far my knowledge has come from the internet which is nothing in comparison to hands on experience.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  8. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Looks good.
  9. StillMatic

StillMatic New Member 100 Posts

If you're gonna put some 12's in the cab, you better get another amp and bridge them cuz the one you already got isn't gonna do anything more than it already is doing.
  10. blueZ71

Better picture: [​IMG]

I plan on adding another amp solely to power the subs and the current amp will just power the front two speakers. Rear speakers aren't a big deal to me as I never sit in the back so I probably won't even bother replacing or amplifying the rears.

When you say bridge what do you mean?