New Head Unit

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by groceryman, Apr 5, 2012.

1. groceryman

groceryman Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Replacing my factory head unit i have bose and onstar which interface is most everyone using is PAC the best or what others has people been using. I will also be looking for a steering wheel control adapter interface.

2. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

PAC is the most common.

3. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

PAC will have both solutions for you.

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Regarding steering wheel controls, I've used both the PAC SWI-JACK and the Metra Axxess ASWC to retain my factory steering wheel controls with a new head unit. Of the two, I recommend the Metra Axxess ASWC as it's a) less work to install in terms of things you must access on the truck and wires you must find, b) self-programming, and c) reliable. I can say none of those things for the PAC SWI-JACK as it pertains to use with a Kenwood head unit.

Like you I have an 04 that had Bose and OnStar. I completely removed the Bose system so I needed the chime module and used PAC OS-2CBOSE, which worked (and is still working) just fine.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  5. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Good thread. I'll hopefully be upgrade my head unit, and crutchfield recommends the PAC. I'll have to look into the other you mentioned Surreal. Ease of installation is definitely a factor to consider.

6. groceryman

radio.jpg Just got in new jvc head unit it a world of difference sounds great

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Good work! That came out nice and clean. :)

8. groceryman

Only problem was my Metra Axxess ASWC was bad could not get it vto work got it off ebay. I contacted the seller they are going to send me another one.