1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New headers??

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 89steveo50, Nov 6, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 89steveo50

89steveo50 New Member

I got an 02 sierra 5.3 v8. What are some good brands on headers? I know nothing about aftermarket headers so im hoping you guys have enough expierence to help me. I want some more torque at lower rpms, and giving me more hp as well. Any suggestions would be awsome, thanks!!
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well I am partial to HOOKER!!

I have a set of longtube Hooker super competition headers on my LT1 firebird and they sound awesome. I can't give you actual numbers because I haven't had it dynoed, but I know it really made me want to get a set for my Silverado. The welds were a little sloppy but they were good enough, the fitment was perfect and the finish was.................well..........it burned off in the first 15 minutes but it's all good! I didn't have the $1,000 for a set of ceramic coated one's.

Just a few tips with long tube headers, make sure you wrap them with header wrap all down the primaries to keep the heat down. I recommend LAVA wrap by JESEL, It's good up to 2000 degrees and it makes a drastic cut in heat under the hood. Also soak the wrap in warm water to soften it up to make a tighter wrap, then use stainless steel hose clamps at the beginning and end of the wrap to hold it in place.

Header bolts in my opinion there is only one option, STAGE 8 locking header bolts. I constantly hear people talking about there bolts vibrating loose and such, these set me back about $80 but I haven't had to touch them since the day they were installed. They are solid stainless steel, hope this helps..
  3. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member 100 Posts

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

As mentioned above, going with Long Tube Headers will yield you better Gains, than do Shorty Headers.......the one down-side with Long Tube Headers, is your Exhaust will most likely need to be Re-Wored, as where Shorty Headers are a Direct Replacement of your Stock Exhaust Manifolds, and will once again in Most cases will just Bolt-on......

Headers also come in Different Styles......Polish Stainless Steel.....Creamic Coated.....and Chrome to name the most common ones.......Below is an Article on Short Tube Vs Long Tube Headers on a 2007 Chevy Tahoe with the 5.3 Liter.....it shows the Spec's(Gains)on the Short Tube Vs Long Tube headers......Bottom-line it all comes down to what you are, once again as mentioned above, Wanting to Spend and What kind of Gains your Looking For, from a set of Headers,

Article: Short Vs Long Tube Headers,
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...on_short_vs_stainless_long_headers/index.html
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  5. Burden33

Burden33 New Member 100 Posts

Im also looking at running hearders bu on my 08 and was winder if i went with long tubes will and i have to remove my cats
  6. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member 100 Posts

I don't believe you will have to remove your cats, there will be some exhaust modification but you don't have to remove the cats unless you wanted to.
  7. Weetabix

Weetabix New Member

Great article you linked, 99'Hearbeat. Thanks.
  8. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

great article 99heartbeat. headers is on my wish list for my truck.

Alex
  9. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have Pacesetter shorties....I did gain some mileage maybe 1mpg at best but that alone was worth the cost of the headers. It also gave the exhaust a little deeper growl. HP....cant say for sure but it certainly didnt hurt! If you go by the "seat of your pants" test I would say it improved HP but by how much is anyones guess.
  10. kburb

kburb New Member 100 Posts

Search this forum and you will find many who have asked the questions. Be careful on wrapping headers i have heard more bad things than good about it but could be people i have asked.