new headlight recommendations

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by willbradfan, Jul 10, 2011.

1. willbradfan

willbradfan Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey everyone,
    I just wanted to see if anyone had some recommendations on replacement headlight assemblies for my 96 suburban as I have already replaced the headlight assembly once with the same original gm headlight assembly and it helped having the new ones but the lighting is still not the best, especially when the roads are wet at night.

Any recommendations on aftermarket assemblies or upgrades?

2. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

do a full hid upgrade that should help you see better

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Or you could always add some nice Fog lights.. PIAA use to make a whole bumper Assby for that year with their top of the line fog/driving lights in them..

4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you have new lenses and want to stay with the factory look, a couple things. Start by building or buying a relay kit. That will give you better voltage to the bulbs, and brighter lights. A dual burn upgrade is also nice, so your low beams stay on with the high beams. Higher performance bulbs are also available for your stock housings such as Silver Stars. You can also source higher wattage bulbs, but you definitely need relays to run them.

If by "full upgrade" you mean projector lenses too, then I'll agree. But throwing HIDs in the stock lenses should be cause to put a vehicle out of service.

5. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

im talking about the projector lenses and all for his truck if he got the money for it all at one shot if not get the projectors and then the hids

6. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I ran my HID in the stock housings and never was questioned about it by law enforcement. They dont do inspections here in Arizona like some states. I have noticed that some vehicles stock housings dont seem to be as bad about light scatter as mine were.

I did switch to projectors recently, as long as you adjust your cut off line you will have kinder gentler HIDs.

I would maybe upgrade to a silver star bulb. I had those before HIDs and those even drew some middle fingers and flashing brights my way.

7. willbradfan

I've had the silver star bulbs before and they seemed to improve the lighting quite a bit but they dont seem to last very long, well at least the pair i bought didn't. I forgot to mention that I installed a relay for the lights already a couple of years back. I found a wiring diagram that had been on these forums or another website and I also bought a wiring kit that turns both the low and high beams on at the same time when the highs are on. I have noticed that with the headlight assemblies that the driver side emits a lot of light while the passenger side headlight assembly does not generate as wide of lighting area as the driver side does, has anyone else had this problem with a 96 truck or similar headlight assembly?

How much do the HID and projectors usually run for?

8. Collin01

Collin01 Member

H.I.D.'s is the way to go man. Not only do they make your ride look alot cleaner they help you see everything at night. I love mine. And you can always find good hid kits cheap. I paid $75 for mine they've lasted two years and I haven't replaced a ballast or bulb yet.

9. willbradfan

What would be the best place to buy a HID kit? Do most shops like drive in autosound or aftermarket car shops install the kits?

10. Collin01

Collin01 Member

Save the cash and install it yourself. It's extremely simple. And with today's technology--google,YouTube, etc..--you can watch videos that will show you step by step how to install HIDs for any vehicle. I bought mine last year from www.tophidkits.com for $75 but I'm not sure if that website is still running or not