New headunit but i want to keep the steering wheel controls

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by hondarider94, Dec 14, 2011.

1. hondarider94

hondarider94 New Member

I have a 2004 chevy 2500. Im wanting to get subs for it. Except i want my steering whell controls. Either wire a sub and amp to the factory headunit.. Or a new headunit and wire steering wheel controls to it? Help

2. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

You will like the sound quality better if you do a new headunit and wire in the interface module to retain your factory steering wheel controls.

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've used both the PAC SWI-JACK and the Metra Axxess ASWC to retain my factory steering wheel controls with a new head unit. Of the two, I recommend the Metra Axxess ASWC as it's a) less work to install in terms of things you must access on the truck and wires you must find, b) self-programming, and c) reliable. I can say none of those things for the PAC SWI-JACK.

Hopefully this saves you some frustration when the time comes.

4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

most aftermarket brands kenwood, alpine, pioneer have there own steering wheel controller interface you just have to go to their actual sites to find them, but get the aftermarket head unit, a factory deck just doesnt have the tuneability of the aftermarket to get the sound you will want from an amp and subs