1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Here and Maybe Crazy

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Rumbles, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Rumbles

Rumbles New Member

Hello Chevy Lovers, I have the opportunity to buy a 1985 Chevy Short Box, 305 4 Barrel with a documented 2nd owner (collector) 1,625 miles (this is not a misprint). it has of course original dark blue paint with a beautifully glowing chrome package and rally wheels, exhaust is original. It has no air or pw or locks but has the original stereo. It has a GM dealer installed tonneau cover that required no holes only 2 sided velcro tape. Do you guys think I would be crazy to pay $18,000 dollars for this truck? There is absolutely no chance it is not the original mileage, it has been stored in a heated garage since 1985 and when you inspect it it shows the same as would it would have in 1985. Original bill of sale and window sticker from the local dealer where it was purchased are included. I have a couple of weeks to make up my mind.

Attached Files:

2. 300K.MI.GM

300K.MI.GM New Member

If you have the money, YES. It's just if you can afford it or not. But if that isn't the actual mileage, than how different is it from others that you would shell out an extra 10+K?
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow, that's an extremely rare find. How did you happen to come across this '85?
  4. Rumbles

Rumbles New Member

A friend's Father is a buddy of the elderly Gentleman that owns it and my friend mentioned it to me.
  5. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I think $18,000 is a bit much for that truck even with the low miles. There's really nothing special or rare about it except for the milage. It is a very nice looking truck, but I just don't see that kind of value. My 2 cents and now I have no cents.
  6. Holy Smoke

Holy Smoke Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm with GaryL. 18k might be high. keep checking around.
    and Garyl,,,,,I got your 2 cents .
  7. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

IMO, the low mileage is actually cause for concern. 1600miles/23 years~70 miles/year divide by 12~6 miles/month. It's no secret that cars that sit unused for weeks and months and years develop problems just from sittiing. Things gum up or seize up or rust from lack of use and lubrication.

Are you thinking of this as a collector's item/show truck or as something you plan to actually drive? I don't know anything about the antique/collector's market. It doesn't seem that a mid-'80's pickup should have any unusual value, but you'd have to talk to someone who is familiar with that market. If it's something you are planning to drive and use normally, I don't think I'd do it.
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Some good points.

In 1992 I bought my old 1962 GMC, which at that point was starting to become something that looked like a collector, it was 30 years old then it's 45 years old now (wow, was that 15 years ago???) I'm not sure what the age for collectableness really is. In 1982 the 1962 was just another 20 year old truck.
  9. GM_Guy

GM_Guy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

My 1976 Buick was in storage for 10 years,with 48,843 original miles on the clock. only things I had to do to it before driving it, was install a fresh master cylinder, new plugs,cap and rotor, an oil & filter change,and new tires. everything else was in excellent shape.paid $1500 for the car
  10. jerrwdy

jerrwdy New Member

oil chnanges

how often should the oil be changed,using full synthetic oil on a low mileage vehicle, I put approximately 5000 miles .a year on my trailblazer I now change it every 6 months.thanks jerrwdy