1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

New here from CT, have a couple questions:

Discussion in 'CT - Conneticut Chevy Truck Club' started by Zbyler, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Zbyler

Zbyler New Member

Hey guys whats up,
    I'm Zack and I'm new to the forum here. I don't have a truck yet but I'm working on it and maybe you guys can help me out with a couple questions I have. Right now I am in college and I have to commute about 40 miles each way , 4 days a week to school. Im working on getting an internship that is about 45 minutes away from my house so that means more traveling for me. I currently have a 98 Subaru impreza with a wrx motor swap. The car is real fun but its kind of childish and I have always wanted a pick-up. Im looking at an 06 silverado 1500 extended cab, 5.3L V8 right now. The only problem is that the insurance is almost double what I am paying now and I will have to take a loan with payments of about 200$ a month. Bigger engine also means more money for gas and I spend a good amount of time on the road. My question to you guys is are there any older year pick ups (im a chevy fan) that I could grab that would still give me the security and usability of a pick up but not be as terrible on gas? Any suggestions are appreciated as I really dont want to be throwing 500$ a month at a truck, not including gas, just to have it never the less drive it. Thanks and I hope to be an active member on here once I get my truck

~Z

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Hey Zack, welcome to the club. I can't think of any full size GM pick up that is going to get you as good a mileage as your Subaru. You could buy something older that wouldn't have as high an insurance bill, but unless you get something like an old Chevy Luv with a 4 banger the mpg is never going to match your Impreza, & that would just be throwing good money after bad. There's really no way around the high insurance premiums with a new vehicle, & since you're in college I assume you're younger which also costs you a ton on insurance just because of your age.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club, Zack.

4. IPFK83

IPFK83 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Welcome to the club.

5. kennyb79

kennyb79 Rockstar 100 Posts

The gas milage will never be that great, but if you could get yourself into a six cylinder standard shift tranny 2 wheel drive pickup you may do better than the 5.3 L v-8. thats just a guess because I don't drive that far so 've always driven the v8's. I assume you want the safety and size of a full size. do a search of some of the older posts, guys will always tell you their mileage. I can tell you my 03 Z71 suburban gets worse mileage than my 99 LS did, maybe the tranny was different but on a trip to myrtle beach last year I averaged 19.5 with the 99, and the best I ever got out of the 03 was 17. But I like the safety and security hhave driving the suburban with my family in it.