1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

new here need help with trailer brakes

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by dirtymax, Mar 4, 2014.

1. dirtymax

dirtymax New Member

hey guys i dont even know if this is the right section to do this in lol i am having trailer brake problems i can manually set them but when just braking with the peddle it does not work i have constant power but not power when peddle is pressed im lost an out of ideas
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club!!! Im no expert but it sounds like the wire that comes from the brake light is not getting power to the brake box...(Im assuming this is an aftermarket brake box and not a factory built in box) You might try and look up what color wire on the box is for the brake light and wire one in. If you dont have the manual maybe try a google search for the model you have.. Electronic brakes on trailers and the wiring can sometimes be a nightmare... Hope you figure it out.. good luck..
  3. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Hi dirtymax

What year/model of truck? What kind of brake controller do you have?
  4. poncho62

poncho62 Member 100 Posts

Thats what I would ask too....Some vehicles require a feed from a different wire than the brake light switch. My wifes Chevy van has to have it from a certain white wire coming from computer as an example
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The '07 and newer trucks have a wire near the underhood fuse box that needs to be connected to a fused stud that is part of the fuse box.

Truck info is needed.