New Lights, Blacked out grille and Bowtie

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Sam_A, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Sam_A

Sam_A Rockstar 100 Posts

Well, I stumbled across Springthing's thread on blacking out a bowtie (http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?14908-How-To-Black-out-your-Chevy-bow-tie) and after seeing his and Cody115's results I was sold on blacking out the bowtie.

Being on a really tight budget right now (paying for wife's Masters tuition and trying to recover from unexpected bills) I tried to be as inexpensive as possible. The overall project ended up costing me around $17 after taxes.

I really wanted to make the mesh grill dissappear as much as possible. First I found some high temp black paint that my dad no longer needed and painted the grill and everything behind it (some of the paint on the braces behind the grill had worn off).

I really like the way Ajarman's 2008 Chevy (Oct ROTM nominee picture) looks with the lights behind the grill, so I decided to use his design. I found these lights in my attic. I had bought them back in 2005 for the 88 Silverado I had, but I never installed them.

I drilled some holes at the top of the grill and mounted the lights. I installed the switch on the dash board by my fog lights switch.

photo 3.jpg

For the bowtie I bought the DupliColor Metallic Black (BUN0090) and clear coat (the $17 of the project). I followed the instructions in the threat mentioned above.

I sprayed about 6 layers of the Metallic black and then about 3 coats of the clear coat.

And the finished product:

photo.jpg

photo 5.jpg

I'm really happy with the end results. It looks even better in person. I'll get some better pictures (and from a little further away) once I wash and wax the truck.

Hope everybody likes it and maybe even give some poeple ideas who are looking for cheap mods / customizations.

2. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Man I like that a lot!! I can tell you do really good work too! I love how those lights turned out. Look sharp and I bet they look mean at night. I may do the same thing after seeing that! Great thread!

3. Sam_A

Sam_A Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks! I still can't believe it turned out that good! LOL. I have to admit I impressed myself, LOL. Let me know if you do the lights. I'd love to see how they turn out.

4. ntbush83

Will do! Maybe If I can find a good set of lights for cheap ha. Wiring very hard? I've wired everything from train horns to to full audio systems but never lights.

5. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Looks mean, like the truck is staring at you. The lights behind the grill and the blacked-out bow tie look nice, good job.

One thing I saw HawaiiKid do is paint the lower valance on the bumper. I never really noticed the color difference until I saw his painted. Something to consider, but your truck looks great!

6. Sam_A

Sam_A Rockstar 100 Posts

The wiring wasn't bad at all. I'll have to revisit it sometime soon. The lights came with everything that was needed (except that the wires were about 2ft too short to get to the dash, lol. I ended up using some extra trailer light wiring to get the length I needed.

Right now the lights are tied directly to the battery. The wire comes in the cab by the door and into the fuse box in the dash (I couldn't find any openings through the firewall and didn't want to drill it). I'll take some pictures tomorrow of the wiring and post them.

----- Edit -----

The original wiring got me just to the fuse box. I had to use the trailer light wires to go from there to the switch.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  7. ntbush83

Heck thats really not bad at all! Thanks for the help! I'll make a post for sure if I decide to do it!

8. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Looks good.I need to do my ties,but probably not until spring now.

9. Sam_A

Sam_A Rockstar 100 Posts

I like that idea. I may look into it as a future project.

10. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Sam, you got my stamp of approval on the lights!! They look awesome! You did a great job on the bow ties also. The more I see guys doing that mod on here the more I want to do it myself. Might be a great project for the Fall. Keep up the great work!!