New Look coming to GMTC - We have to upgrade

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

The current version of software that we are running has a big security hole it in, and upwards of 35,000 websites running this exact version have been hacked! We have to upgrade today, but there's only one problem. The THEME (that is the look, feel and the colors - all together it's called the theme) ... the company that made the theme is no longer updating it, and it is NOT compatible with the newest version of the software.

That means that we have no choice. In order to update the site to make it secure, which we have to do today ... we have to install a theme that works with the newest version of the software.

So, I'm trying to find one right now that will get us close and over the next day or two I can tweak it to make it more like what we have right now, but we've got to do this ... unless we want to work with a broken theme (and there's already a lot that's broken with the current version, so moving to an even newer version will cause even more problems).

So, just keep your eyes out. We'll pull the site offline later tonight to do all of the upgrades and we're watching it like a hawk to make certain that we don't get hacked in the meantime.
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

Well, the hacking risk is bad so there are always bumps in the road with upgrades. As long as the bumps in the road are nothing like the obamacare website's we should be good
  3. ChevyFan

HAHAHA, that made me laugh.

I think we're actually very secure. And the hacking just is stuff like them being able to gain access to the server through the website, so it's not like they're going to hack into people's accounts ... nothing like that at all. Just dumb spammer stuff.
  4. 95_5spd

95_5spd Member

A change would be good. New layout and all. It'll take a visit to get used to and make it more modern
  5. poncho62

poncho62 Member

Go for it Steve...I am fairly new here, so I wont be too upset to lose the old look...lol
  6. ChevyFan

Couldn't find anything tonight. I'll try again tomorrow am.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately change tends to really upset some people, we should ensure anyone with questions about the change is informed why its happening, to better secure and safeguard the site and retain their browsing security.
    If they know the reason for change and understand it, it makes it easier to take.
    Unlike the obamacare site.
  8. ChevyFan

We got some of the update done today. I'm looking at moving the forum stucture around to put all of the off-topic stuff together mostly. So there will be a general section for each vehicle, a members section with all the off topic areas, one single tech and modification area, local & regional, marketplace ... that should keep everything neat and orderly. Then I'll work on putting in the prefix tags into more areas so forums can be internally organized as well as externally.
  9. ChevyFan

I've been told by a forum and user community security expert that we are secure. But because we rigged the theme to work with this update were not optimized for speed. So until tomorrow afternoon or so, we're going to sit tight and shouldn't have anything to worry about.