1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Magnaflow Fan

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Klutch Mclovin, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Klutch Mclovin

Klutch Mclovin New Member

I got my truck straight piped about 4 months ago and I wasn't quite sure how it would sound on a 4.8. It was pretty annoying especially since I had it turned down before the rear axle which made the drone 3 times worse. I'm going on vacation next week and I knew listening to that drone for 8 hours was gonna drive me crazy. I stopped by my local exhaust shop and asked if I wanted to try a magnaflow. I was a little hesitant about it, but I went with it anyway. I knew flowmaster had some amount of drone. I love it, it has a nice some what loud rumble without any drone. I was suprised by the lack of drone it has compared to the flowmaster. It has a perfect tone for my 4.8 chevy and I couldn't be happier. I believe it is either the 12288 or the 12588 not quite sure, but it is definitely worth it for anyone who is unsure which muffler to go with.
  2. Blazer454

Blazer454 New Member

Nice. I work at a shop and we have a guy that has been doing custom exhaust for 25 years so i have heard a lot of different systems on these trucks but have yet to experience the 4.8 with the magnaflow. Good to hear you like it
  3. Klutch Mclovin

Finding a good exhaust system for a 4.8 is quite a dilemma because something on a 5.3 might sound really good ,but really bad on a 4.8.
  4. Blazer454

Blazer454 New Member

Yeah i know what you mean. Most of the trucks we get in have the 5.3 or 6.0 and they are a lot different. The only 4.8 i can think of was an older guy that brought in a brand new truck right after he bought it and had a 70 series flowmaster installed. He just wanted more rumble. Didnt make a difference at idle but a bit louder with much better sound driving it down the road
  5. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts

I really appreciate your post. The sound has been my biggest dilema when looking at the different exhausts. They all have something I like better than others. I need to just bite the bullet and get it done.
  6. Klutch Mclovin

If the drone is your only dilemma I would definitely recommend a magnaflow. I think the part number for the one I got was 12588, but I found the 12288 online and it has more rumble to it and slightly more drone which you only hear when your in the higher rpm's.