1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New master cylinder or rebuild kit

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ACracing, Jun 22, 2009.

1. ACracing

ACracing New Member

My master cylinder is leaking where it connects to the brake booster. Would it be better to rebuild existing, or purchase a new one. If possible, please give me your advise on this issue considering the following: time, cost, difficulity, and effectivness. Thanks!!
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

If you've never rebuilt one and don't have the tools to do it just buy a new one. The cylinder needs to be honed if you rebuild it. Sometimes the cylinder can be too far gone to hone. If this is the case and you hone it anyway, it will leak.
  3. ACracing

ACracing New Member

Master Cylinder

Ok! I have never rebuilt one, nor do I have the tools. If brake fluid is leaking b/t the master cylinder and the brake booster, it is the master cylinder correct? Also, approximately how long does it take to take old one out and install a new. Lastly, I had to get Advance Auto to order those seals, apparently they are not commonly replaced, and do not stock them. I had him order them, but get this, he only ordered one, not two. I made it clear I needed them for both sides. Anyway, you can't win them all, and thanks so much for all or your valuable help and resources.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

Right, you need a master cylinder. Good luck with the seals too.
  5. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts

new is better