1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New member, 1988 headliner project

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by oldmanstruck, May 8, 2012.

1. oldmanstruck

oldmanstruck Member

My dad got this 1988 suburban 2WD 5.7 R10 for more then 10 year and only putting maybe ~10K miles since. He gave it to me a year ago and now it has 178K miles.
    The headliner has been an issue, sagging, old foam falling off in piece near the windows area that made my clothes dirty :(

So last weekend, I decided to fix it myself. I spent about $60 on headliner fabric, $36 on the spray.

• remove the trim
    • remove the center support (since the suburban use 2 pieces headliner)
    • remove the light (kind of tricky, you may need a second person to help holding the headliner)
    • remove all the overhead handle
    • remove the front headliner
    • to the rear since I have the AC unit (didn't blow cold air) I have to remove that big AC cover (again, you probably want someone to help you on this. You will need to remove the drain hose, light wire...)
    • slide the headliner toward the front, then remove

I used a wire brush to remove the old foam from both sides. It takes a bit of time and kind of messy. After that, trim your fabric in place. (you can found a lot of Youtube on how to remove the foam and put the new liner together).... But one thing, the chevy liner has 3 layers, the white stuff in the middle kinda like hard foam so try not th press it too hard or you will end up with a not flat surface.

Let the new liner dry out for 24hr, then put eveything back in. pretty easy.
  2. oldmanstruck

oldmanstruck Member

Oh, since I am a new member here, may as well show some pic on my suburban
    P4221323.jpg P4221319.jpg
  3. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club. Enjoy searching, reading, and learning here. You will meet a lot of good people here with a lot of knowledge. I like it.
  4. oldmanstruck

oldmanstruck Member

Here are some pictures for the project.

One tip after the project, leave about half inch or an inch near the front area. I trimmed it to fit and it showed bare metal near the roof due to the sag. Not a big deal but something you may want to know.

P5050247.jpg

This is the stuff I used, cost about ~$12/can. Buy more then you need, I used a total of 3 cans

P5250285.jpg
    since I am reusing the same old headliner, it sags a bit on both front and rear. I added a support bar to the rear (the same bar as the middle one I found in junk yard $18). I tried to do the same thing on the front with the same bar but it didn't work well so I decided not to at the end)

P5250280.jpg

P5250279.jpg

P5050246.jpg

Since they don't have blue, I pick gray instead. It works out pretty good

let me know if you guys have any question.
  5. oldmanstruck

oldmanstruck Member