New member/97 K2500 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by longbeach, Oct 30, 2011.

Newest Photos

1. longbeach

longbeach New Member

Hello to all, new member here. Looks like a lot of good info here. I have a '97 K2500 Suburban that I bought about 4 months ago. It has about 160K and is very clean and appears to have been well taken care of. I have noticed when cruising on the highway a slight hitch or hiccup every once in a while. I don't notice anything on the gauges no drop in RPM's or anything. It is very slight. At first I thought it was just a little suspension hop or something cause I don't have any load in it and the suspension is so stiff. But, then the other day my wife noticed it also. It doesn't do it all the time just off and on with no set pattern. Sometimes it will do it like about a minute apart for a while, then others like a few in a row then nothing. It runs fine otherwise, starts fine, idles smooth and seems OK around town. Gas mileage has been about what I would expect, about 15mpg or so mixed driving. Anybody else experience anything like this?????? I've searched the forum already and have not found anything exactly like my problem. Thanks....
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. Naptime

Naptime New Member 100 Posts

Welcome! I'm sure you'll hear some suggestions. I got nothin' cept, maybe a thorough tune-up complete with cap and wires and a seafoam treatment. If nothing else you'll know were you' are starting at.
  3. Prospect62

Prospect62 New Member

Hello! I have your truck, just one year older! I assume you have a 454 engine and not a diesel? My Suburban is doing the same thing, has been since I bought it a couple months ago. It seems to occur only as the truck warms up to where the thermostat is just opening, not before and not after. I'm leaning toward a problem with the coolant temp sensor or a fuel delivery issue (bad fuel filter or pump) but I haven't been able to do enough research to justify swapping out parts yet. I am planning a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV, fuel filter, air filter, oil change, tranny fluid change) in the near future and I'm hoping that may address the problem. I suggest you plan on doing a tune up, too and see where that gets you. Welcome and keep us posted on your progress. Any pictures of your truck?:money:
  4. longbeach

longbeach New Member

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have noted that my Burb has 5.7, 4L80E, 4.10 gears.I will do a tune-up although it looks as though wires etc. were done recently, but I agree I should do it and then I know where I stand. And my problem happens when the truck is warm and from then on at anytime. Yesterday we to a trip 1.5 hrs. each way and it did it the whole time each way. But, as I said with no regularity. It would do it and then not again for a while. I'll let you know if I come up with anything. I have a picture on the computer,but I have to figure out how to get it posted. I'll do this soon. Thanks again.
  5. C. Alan

C. Alan New Member

Well I say the first thing you might want to do is go down to your FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) and see if you can get some one hook a scanner to your computer, and see if it is throwing any codes.

--C. Alan
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

No way to get that kind of economy with a Big Block in a Sub.

Cap & Rotor are first on the list. AC Delco only, nothing else will last more than a few months. When you have the cap off, rotate the crank back and forth to determine total degrees of lag from the crank to the rotor. If it's excessive, say more than 6-8 degrees, pull the distributor and check the gear for wear.

Also, the CKP (Crank Position Sensor) can be problematic on these trucks. Where it's located it gets plenty of weather. If you replace it, get a new pigtail connector from GM at the same time. I had to do cap & rotor along with CKP and finally CKP connector to get it to stop doing what yours is.
  7. longbeach

longbeach New Member

OK Thanks, it's actually nice to hear someone else had similar problem, now I have a little bit of history and I've got some work ahead of me.I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again.....
  8. longbeach

longbeach New Member

A little update here. This afternoon I had a little time so I started sniffing around under the hood. I pulled a plug just to see what they looked like(Bosch Platinums) and the one I pulled looked fine. Wires do look newer they are Belden 7mm Max something. The cap looks newer also. But, I've known since I bought this rig that there was some jury rig wiring going on under the hood and also under the dash. Looks like the previous owner had some sort of theft cut-out switch, a 2-way radio of some sort and maybe even an electric brake controller for trailering. Anyway I cropped out everything under the hood that went thru the firewall. Next, I'll try and make sense of all the spaghetti stuff up under the dash spliced in here and there. The brake relay is spliced into wires under the dash instead of in the relay box under the hood? Anyway, my thoughts are to get that all straightened out and do away with anything that doesn't belong there. Then, I'll see how it runs on the highway and I'll go from there.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Take the Bosch plugs out yesterday. AC Delco 41-993. They should be gapped at .040" right out of the box, which is exactly what you want. Ignore the plug gap spec under the hood.
  10. longbeach

longbeach New Member

OK Bosch plugs will go. Phew, those AC/Delco's are pricey.