New member from Fort Worth,Texas

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Danow, Jul 9, 2010.

1. bby366

bby366 Member

Welcome from Euless

2. pmartin816

pmartin816 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Danow,
    Yeah, folks are crazy on 635-we get on it coming from I-20 in the east and spend about 23 miles swinging N then W getting off heading to Denton.

The rest of TX is great. We take Hy 287 for 350 miles(7 hours or so) from DWF metro area to Amarillo. For a non interstate it is a great road. It has the best rest stops/truck stops I've ever been in. We spend the night outside Childress sleeping in the Suburban at the rest stop there.I idle the Suburban 6 hours at a time(for AC) doesn't seem to bother it a bit(careful your exhaust doesn't leak, and make sure it points downwind of course).(Probably didn't help my intake manifold gaskets to idle for 6 hours- 4 times)

Luck
    Charlie

4. Danow

Danow Member

Thanks from North Richland Hills

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Wow 6 hours at a time idling? I'd be afraid of hurting my catalytic converter. I know you'd need AC as hot as it can get here an all.

5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yeah, I have my doubts about doing it, but I've done it 4 times so far.
    I do use syn oil etc- but that is a lot of idling. I can feel the heat from the catcon when I get out in the am.
    Unfortunately like you said-TX is HOT-in July 2008(last time thru) it was over 100 degrees from about 2 pm until 9 pm(roughly Shreveport to Wichita Falls).Heck it was 93 degrees when we stopped outside Childress at 11:30 pm.Glad the Suburban is white-not black!
    I've even considered bringing a window ac and a generator-just stick the little ac in a side window-cardboard it up tight-pull the generator to life-and go to sleep.

6. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club!