1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New member from Fort Worth,Texas

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Danow, Jul 9, 2010.

1. bby366

bby366 Member

Welcome from Euless
  2. pmartin816

pmartin816 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Danow,
    Yeah, folks are crazy on 635-we get on it coming from I-20 in the east and spend about 23 miles swinging N then W getting off heading to Denton.

The rest of TX is great. We take Hy 287 for 350 miles(7 hours or so) from DWF metro area to Amarillo. For a non interstate it is a great road. It has the best rest stops/truck stops I've ever been in. We spend the night outside Childress sleeping in the Suburban at the rest stop there.I idle the Suburban 6 hours at a time(for AC) doesn't seem to bother it a bit(careful your exhaust doesn't leak, and make sure it points downwind of course).(Probably didn't help my intake manifold gaskets to idle for 6 hours- 4 times)

Luck
    Charlie
  4. Danow

Danow Member

Thanks from North Richland Hills

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Wow 6 hours at a time idling? I'd be afraid of hurting my catalytic converter. I know you'd need AC as hot as it can get here an all.
  5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yeah, I have my doubts about doing it, but I've done it 4 times so far.
    I do use syn oil etc- but that is a lot of idling. I can feel the heat from the catcon when I get out in the am.
    Unfortunately like you said-TX is HOT-in July 2008(last time thru) it was over 100 degrees from about 2 pm until 9 pm(roughly Shreveport to Wichita Falls).Heck it was 93 degrees when we stopped outside Childress at 11:30 pm.Glad the Suburban is white-not black!
    I've even considered bringing a window ac and a generator-just stick the little ac in a side window-cardboard it up tight-pull the generator to life-and go to sleep.
  6. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club!