1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

New member help - Missing RPO code stickers

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by typhoid_iowa, Feb 15, 2014.

1. typhoid_iowa

typhoid_iowa New Member

Greetings, first time posting, long time lurker, this is a great site by the way.

I recently picked up an '03 GMC Sierra 1500HD to replace my '03 Silverado Quadrasteer that was stolen, joy ridden, and ditched. Insurance totaled the truck before the adjuster got past the driver's door... He never saw the sheared rear knuckle. Not like I'm still bitter or anything...

Anyhow, I bought the GMC as the price was right and I was pressed for time. I recently discovered that the RPO stickers are missing from the glove box. I'm curious on the rear gears, and I want to know for sure what I have. Anyone know the best way to go about getting that information? As we all know, the free vin decoders only go so far..

I appreciate any help received, and look forward to being a member of the site.

2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site and sorry to hear about The Grinch.. Im sure someone will be able to answer how to find out what gears you have.. Is it possible to figure it out by jacking up the truck and rotating the tires and counting the revolutions of the driveshaft ratio??? was just something quick that popped in my head without putting much thought into it.

3. typhoid_iowa

typhoid_iowa New Member

Yeah, I had thought about that as well. I've spent the last four weeks between Chicago and Columbus, OH... So I was trying to avoid the cold..:lol:

That'll probably be what I end up doing for the time being. It'd be pretty neat to see the rest of the options as well.

4. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Couldn't this be found from GM? Not at the dealer level, but at Corporate? Have you gone to your dealer to see if there is a pathway to getting this info? Over time, you will want to know more than just what the rear ratio is, and that sticker had all the info you could ever get.

As for counting the tire revs vs shaft revs...I have done this several times, and it has not always worked, though I don't know why. I had a Tahoe that I checked just for the heck of it, and it came out to 2.9 revolutions, but the sticker decoded to 3.73, and nothing had ever been changed on the truck. I checked it several times and came up with the same numbers. Thought it was odd...

5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

since these are removed I would get a title search done. this may be a scrapped vehicle or stolen ... anytime these stickers are screwed with you must protect your self from the crooks... if this is found to be stolen you get nothing...

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

you could go to compnine.com and sign up for their free 24 hour trail, then put your vin in. It will give you the build list of rpo codes and definitions for them. I just copied and pasted mine into a word document and saved it.

7. the phantom

What do the RPO codes have to do with ownership of a vehicle? If you were talking about the vin number then I would understand the concern. Why would a title search be done when you should have the title in your possesion in order to register the vehicle? RPO codes from what I understand are the codes showing the parts installed on the vehicle from the factory such as paint color, transmission, and several other things. Why would a crook remove this (unless the crook doesnt know better)if there is no vin# or serial #'s on this sticker. Or is there a Vin # on the sticker?? Cant say as I looked.

8. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On the White Service Parts ID Tag, other than the RPO Codes, at the Top Left Hand Side of this Tag is the Vehicles Vin# Number,

Here's the Service Parts Identification Label

[​IMG]

9. the phantom

Ok I see why it would be removed if stolen, But if the vin in the window is still there then just removing the glovebox sticker is pointless.

10. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

O' I agree, but who's to say....the Vin Number Tag under the Windshield is the Correct One to the Truck??...as it also can be removed....I'm just saying....:neutral:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014