New Member Looking for Advice (Exhaust Related)

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by jasonsuch86, Mar 9, 2010.

1. jasonsuch86

jasonsuch86 New Member

Hi everybody! I am a proud new owner of a 2006 Silverado 1500 2WD W/T with a 4.3L engine. I've been doing my fair share of lurking and have been wearing out the search button. I have found out tons of info on here on many different subjects and am thankful to find this site with good people. Anyway I've been sorting out my plans already for my truck and the top two things on my list is a K&N CAI and new exhaust. I plan on leaving the cat on and purchasing a single in-out muffler. My problem is finding a muffler to suit my needs as there are tons of choices out there. I am wanting a low rumble sound obviously, hoping that won't be hard to come by considering I have a v6. I know there are tons of topics on this subject for the v8 guys, but I want to hear your opinions on what will sound good on my truck. I think I narrowed it down to the Flowmaster 40 series or the Cherry Bomb Vortex, also there are many tip choices on the Cherry Bomb website which is a plus. What do you guys suggest?

Another question I forgot to mention is pipe size, should I go with a 2.25" or 2.5" pipe?

2. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

A 2.5 inch exhaust will have a deeper note than a 2.25 and a flowmaster 40 sounds great. My buddy has one on his '06 Silverado.

3. jasonsuch86

jasonsuch86 New Member

Do you think this tip will look good coming out the side in front of or behind the rear wheel?

[​IMG]

4. lsutoms

lsutoms Rockstar 100 Posts

hey buddy! i had an 06 silverado with the 4.3L v6 that i just got rid of in June! You can see pics on my page. I have a 40 series single in dual out with the turn down right before my rear axle.... Everyone thought that i had a V8 in it! It rumbled very good! I have a video of it somewhere ill have to search and see if i can't find it anywhere... I have never heard a single in single out though to tell you a difference..

I also had a K&N CAI and it helped me out i found even with the big lift and tires that i had on it! i highly recomend one of these. If you dont have exhaust on it you can hear it sucking the air but with the exhaust you will not hear a difference! Let me know if you have any other questions.

5. jasonsuch86

jasonsuch86 New Member

lsutoms, thanks very much for the response, it was very helpful! I didn't even think about putting turndowns behind the rear axle, I wonder though if my spare tire would be in the way? I am going to take that into consideration when deciding what I want to do. If you have a chance to look, I'd really enjoy viewing your video. Thanks!

6. lsutoms

lsutoms Rockstar 100 Posts

if you put the turn downs it actually turns down before your rear axle... so you dont have to worry about your spare tire there arent any pipes in the way of it!!!