Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

New member looking for info on replacing headlight lens

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by eldondr, Oct 22, 2012.

1. eldondr

eldondr New Member

Hi all, my name is Eldon and live in San Antonio, Tx. I have a 2008 Chevy 3500 Silverado that I have a broken headlight lens on the drivers side. Is this lens available as a separate item or does the entire headlight assy have to be replaced? In either case can someone tell me how to go about changing it. Appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,
    Eldon

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Hey [MENTION=57471]eldondr[/MENTION]; welcome to the site.

You can get the lens by itself I think, go to the GM Parts Club website and enter your Year / Make / Model and it should have a diagram down there for you if see if you can get the replacement cover of it you have to get the whole unit.

http://www.gmpartsclub.com/chevy-parts/chevy-silverado-parts

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I looked and there are Low beam bulb and High beam bulbs that are for sale on there, so yes you can get them.

4. eldondr

eldondr New Member

Thanks Steve, but it is the clear plastic lens that covers the entire headlight assy that I'm looking for. I called the local Chevy dealer and am told that they sell it only as a complete headlight assy. Seems absurd since I only need the clear plastic but guess that's the way it is.

5. ChevyFan

Yeah, I think that's right they only sell those OEM as the entire unit, probably a stocking thing as there are so many of them that get sold and it's got a few parts that they probably get manufactured that way to save on costs ... that is manufactured and delivered as a part assembly.

6. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club Eldon, it's good to have you aboard. :glasses:

7. IanF

IanF Rockstar 100 Posts

The DEPO replacement head light is an exact copy of the OEM one and can be found very cheaply on Amazon and Ebay for about 1/3 the cost of the OEM. I bought both sides for my 2010 as I wanted them without the chrome, just in black. They are very easy to install, loosen the bolt under the wheel well liner and the two top bolts and they just pull out. I have also found many used ones on Kijiji recently.

8. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

When my dad side swiped a construction cone and busted the side mirror out of the driver side I only wanted the mirror. Dealer told me I had to buy the hole thing at a price of $250 ( it is a power mirror).

Went to a friend at firestone, he called up his parts guy at the dealer and he could get the mirror by itself for $19, not the whole assembly.

for headlights, tail lights, etc I use the depot ones and get them at Cert-i-fit and they run about $40 each for my truck (left and right side).

That is the hole assembly (lens, reflector, etc). You really can't beat that. They might be cheaper through Amazon though. But you pay shipping.

9. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

****Moved Thread Here****

10. eldondr

eldondr New Member

Thanks to all for your help. I was able to find the DEPO brand at Auto Body Warehouse here in SA. Now just a matter of getting it installed. Do you not have to remove the grill to replace them?