New member, looking to buy a chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by murray92589, Mar 13, 2012.

1. murray92589

murray92589 New Member

Im am going to look at a 1996 Chevy 1500 W/T on thursday, anything in particular I should look out for? The truck has 220,000 miles, good tires, just got a tune up. It sowned by a friend of a friend, so that makes me a little more comfortable. kbb.com says roughly 2200, and the truck is 1600, and from the pics in pretty good shape.

I have owned a 99 ford ranger and 01 ford f150, 06 nissan frontier. this will be my first chevy though.

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

what engine does it have under the hood and what tranny? and it sounds like great deal u should get tones more miles out of it as long as it was well maintained and u keep it in good shape.

3. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

hehehe the nice thing about buying a chevy,,,:rofl: you get to see all the dodges and fords in your review mirror:)

4. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Make sure to add pictures!

Hard to tell you what to look for on a truck with 220k miles on it. Just make sure it runs and drives good. It sounds like the price is right! Good luck!

5. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Club and good luck with the purchase!!!!:great:

6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If it was well taken care of, you'll still some miles left on it. I had a 1997 W/T and when I sold it, I had ~240,000 miles on it and was still running strong and looked great...so much so, I received just over $3,000 for it (this was a few years ago tho).

Like others have mentioned, just make sure it checks out...

BTW, Welcome to the Club!!

7. murray92589

murray92589 New Member

Thanks for the response. sorry @Conlan I thought I said, it is a 6 cylinder with the automatic. @mfleetwood it was listed at 2900, but because the seller is a friend of a friend he told me his bottom price., I am probably going to go get it saturday, he lives about an hour from me and I have to get a ride there. I have always liked these kind of rims that chevy has, both on the s10s and the bigger trucks. @moogvo this is the picture he texted me. [MENTION=53835]Dirty Dog[/MENTION] I know they are faster, but I have always liked Fords, would never have sold my first one, except that I totaled it, and I screwed up a repair on the second one and it broke the day before I was moving so I traded it in. I dont have anything against chevy though... can't stand dodges, even though there were several in my price range.

downsized950304121552.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  8. moogvo

nice! I like the sawblade wheels. It looks to be in decent condition... although I bought a car that looked like new and found a blown head gasket 3 days later... But it was an Explorer, and there is a reason they are called "Exploders".

The cool thing about these trucks is that you can find parts for them ANYWHERE! The other cool thing about these... Look around. You can see 'em on the road all the time with the CRAP kicked out of them... Flat out ABUSED but still running. I think the only enemies these trucks have is wrecks and rust. As long as you don't live in Frozenville, USA, Rust doesn't seem to be an issue. These things NEVER DIE!

I look forward to seeing more on this truck!

9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like a nice deal. Im more partial to the 5.7l V8 but nice it got the auto tranny. Hope deal works outs out for you

10. moogvo

I got the 4.3L in mine with a 5 Speed manual gearbox. I LOVE it. It will run forever... AND I get 19 to 22 mpg with it too!

[​IMG]