1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Member!! Skid Plate - Need one!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by mwa3c, May 8, 2013.

1. mwa3c

mwa3c New Member

Hello GMTC Forum folks!

Yes, I am new and PROUD OF IT ha!

Ok.. So, I have this "New to me" fully stock 1999 GMC Suburban SLT k1500 w/ a peppy 350.. Picked up recently with less than 90,000 miles on it! BUT, the previous owner tossed the skidplate.

I am in the market for a frame rail to frame rail style skid plate, or something that would cover enough junk under the truck so i am comfortable..

I would like to protect:
    1. Front Dif
    2. Oil Pan
    3. Transmission pan and xfer case

Any ideas? I am considering building my own but would need to replace my defunked welder first.. so if cost of building is less than the cost of buying i willl be building :)

Many thanks to those out there that have to read my above post! for putting up with a new guy!

Mark
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would look at a local salvage yard. If there is a pull-a-part near you then you might be set. Then you could just pull one off of another 1999. You might want to measure, but I am pretty sure that the plates from a z71 would fit. It might require some drilling and tapping for mounting if the holes are not already there. Alternatively, you can check out GMpartsclub.com here are some prices I came across for a 2001 truck. They will not fit yours, but it should give you an idea. The prices are not that bad.
    GM PART # 15843753 Aluminum Skid plate protecting oil pan
    GM LIST: $39.24

GM PART # 15049809 Aluminum skid plate protecting transfer case
    GM LIST: $32.97
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
  3. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

i second the salvage yard. you find these trucks in there allllllll daaaaaaaaaay loooooooooong
    bob seger sold millions
    like a rock