1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by jimduke, Jul 29, 2010.

1. jimduke

jimduke New Member

Hello to all. I'm a new member. I've owned three suburbans over the last 25 years (keep 'em for a long time). Current truck is a '97 GMC K1500 4x4 with 210K miles. I'm once again interested in buying another (used) 4x4 but am interested in possibly an 8.1L for towing a 3000# boat. I'm only familiar with the 5.7L and have had great history with that engine. I look forward to tapping the knowledge and resources from this forum. Thanks, Jim.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would go with a 6.0 or a 5.3L for pulling 3000#. honestly the 8.1L is overkill, and also VERY thirsty. I pull a 4000# boat all the time with my truck. I have a 5.7L 1998 Silverado Currently. But have towed with the 5.3L and there is more than enough there to handle that weight..

Welcome aboard as well.
  3. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

welcome to the site from san fran, ca
  4. jimduke

jimduke New Member

Thanks, Murdog. I would prefer a 5.3L, just wasn't sure if HP and torque were enough to pull 3000#. Also, don't want to have to stop more often to fill-up an 8.1L.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

thanks for the welcome.

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

j-schmizzle - thanks for the welcome. my step daughter lives in san fran.
  5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The 5.3 is a very good motor-especially since you will probably buy one somewhat newer than the early 5.3's that developed that piston slap noise.I think by 2002 GM fixed that.It didn't make them any less reliable, but it did make them harder to resell since no one wants a motor with a "funny" noise.

The 2004 5.3 4x4 will give you a noticeable improvement in FE- it is EPA rated 13/17 vs your 97 which is probably rated 11/16(new EPA rating not the original rating). You will get an honest 19-20 mpg at 65 mph in hy driving-not towing of course. It also has maybe 50-60 more hp and close to the same torque as the 5.7.The 8.1 in a 3/4 ton might get 15 mpg at 65 mph if it had a tailwind.Good motor, but really thirsty.

Yes, that 8.1 would leave a HUGE dent in your wallet once gasoline spikes again. You would also have to get a 3/4 ton to get the 8.1.The 1/2 tons have a really cushy ride-your family and everyone else will love the 1/2 ton ride. You''ll like the better brakes of the newer (2000-2006) Suburbans also. My 1998 has "ok" brakes-nothing to brag about.Good thing I drive like an old wimp-I rarely have to get on the brakes.

Welcome from New Orleans
    Charlie
  6. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site! Glad to have you here!
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club.
  8. jimduke

jimduke New Member

Thanks for the welcome replies and phoebeisis thanks for the info. Another option I'm considering is replacing the stock 5.7 with an HT383e stroker crate motor producing 340hp and 425ftlb of torque. I'm sure you're probably familiar with this motor and maybe some of you have installed this motor or know someone who has. Might be a less expensive option than purchasing a newer truck plus I will have more hp/torque than the 5.3 or 8.1. Anyone have any experience with this motor swap? Thanks, Jim.
  9. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the GMTruckClub!
  10. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site!