New motorcycle

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by darkness-lies-, Jun 18, 2012.

1. darkness-lies-

darkness-lies- Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I love my truck but the gas kills me atleast 300 a month in gas so i just bought a 2006 honda rebel. its my first bike so i went small pluse around 80mpg. VP2567244_1.jpg

2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Is that a 250?

3. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

This is THE best starter bike for everyone starting out. I started on one of these in an MSF class, graduated to a low powered Yamaha 600 sport bike (Seca II). Later on I moved up the food chain, but not until had mastered all the fundamental skills of riding.

People who buy big bikes to start on fail to learn proper braking technique and speed modulation going into turns. That is why you see so many knuckle draggers getting killed on Harleys.

4. darkness-lies-

yes it is a 250

5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I am one of those knuckle draggers that started out on a big bike. It is dumb comments like yours that divide motorcycle enthusiasts. I have always thought that you should ride what you feel comfortable on and what your check book can handle. Because I am not a small guy a 250 would not carry me around fast enough to be able to keep highway speeds. I have owned both street bikes and harley's. I prefer harley's but that is my preference. To the OP enjoy enjoy your ride. And remember to keep it shiny side up!

6. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

I haven't ridden for 35 years but do miss My hogs as well as my BSA and Triumph.
    As with any vehicle , one must acclimate themselves to their choice of transportation and be sensible in it's operation. Like 4 wheel drives, they good in snow when you keep your wits about you. But I have seen many upside down along I-80 during severe weather and always find that they have poor tread condition, some even bald, but"hey I can go anywhere, I have 4wheel drive" folks just don't get it.
    I think your choice is good for starters and hope you learn quickly and be safe. After awhie you may get the bug to ride one of the more elite bikes but hey 80 mPG, you have me thinking thats what I need to do.
    Course I was in Costco with a female friend and got a little crazy and climbed on a mountain bike and tried to ride it up the aisle. Key word was tried. I am just glad it was not caught on camera and you tubed.
    Remember I havent ridden a bicycle since 1979. My friend got a great laugh , as did others and I headed for the restroom. Can you imagine if it had been motorized?:lol:

7. Coach24

I haven't ridden for 35 years but do miss My hogs as well as my BSA and Triumph.
    As with any vehicle , one must acclimate themselves to their choice of transportation and be sensible in it's operation. Like 4 wheel drives, they good in snow when you keep your wits about you. But I have seen many upside down along I-80 during severe weather and always find that they have poor tread condition, some even bald, but"hey I can go anywhere, I have 4wheel drive" folks just don't get it.
    I think your choice is good for starters and hope you learn quickly and be safe. After awhie you may get the bug to ride one of the more elite bikes but hey 80 mPG, you have me thinking thats what I need to do.
    Course I was in Costco with a female friend and got a little crazy and climbed on a mountain bike and tried to ride it up the aisle. Key word was tried. I am just glad it was not caught on camera and you tubed.
    Remember I havent ridden a bicycle since 1979. My friend got a great laugh , as did others and I headed for the restroom. Can you imagine if it had been motorized?:lol:

8. darkness-lies-

great story! :lol:

9. Coach24

Just be a defensive driver and remember many can not see you in the rear view mirrors.

Best of luck riding your new toy.

10. darkness-lies-

Thanks and i know. My boss at work has been riding for years ima guess at least 15 he has already shown me a lot of what to look out for.