1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Muffler Questions, Fit and Installation

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by PondWarrior, Nov 22, 2012.

1. PondWarrior

PondWarrior New Member

I want to put a new muffler on my 2001 Silverado 1500,
    I'm thinking Flowmaster super 40, it's got a good aggressive tone but it's quite as loud as the 44 (Or so I am told? if I'm wrong tell me).
    I measured my TIP and it's 2.5", and while looking online and on our forum, most people say that the size of the pipe is 2.75".
    Does the pipe narrow out at the tip, from 2.75" at the muffler to 2.5" at the end?
    Also, Flowmaster only offers the type of muffler as 2.5" and 3". I guess I should but 3" and then purchase adaptors to fit it to the pipes?
    Any help would be great, I've never done this before.
    Thanks
  2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I replaced the water heater sized muffler on my 2013 Silverado with a Flowmaster 40 knock off and it sounds amazing.

It might be psychological, but the truck seemed to accelerate better after that. The stock muffler is very restrictive I am told.
  3. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

There's probably some difference between 2001 and 2013 models in terms of how restrictive the exhaust is, but the mufflers on new cars and trucks really aren't all that restrictive, generally speaking. The exhaust manifolds will probably make a bigger difference, by going to shorty headers, or even bigger with long tubes.