1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

New (old) Burb in the driveway and intro.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by pacman1, Jun 21, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. pacman1

pacman1 New Member

Hey guys, just wanted to drop in and say thanks for the great forum and for the wealth of information here. I've only had this Burb 2 days and I've already found tons of great info. I've been visiting off and on for a couple years when looking for info on my 2003 Burb.

So here's the new beast. It's a 99 K1500 with the usual 5.7 Vortec, 4L60E, NP246 (?? it has Autotrac, so I think this is right), 3.73 rear axle with the G80 option. It just rolled over to 180k miles. Other than the 4wd stuff, it'll need the usual GM rough idle issue addressed (advice appreciated!) and the door lock actuators replaced - all 4 of them, ugh. Other than that it's in really good shape.

[​IMG]

I picked it up for a song, but here's the kicker. The PO removed the front driveshaft and halfshafts, and of course didn't include them when they sold the truck. I'm hoping it was done for economy purposes and not because the TC or front diff is hosed. We shall see soon enough.

The grille guard is already off. I just didn't like the look of it. If anyone in the DFW area wants it, I posted it on CL for $125.

Sorry for the crappy cell pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Nice looking Burb! I looks like it's in great shape both inside and out. Great color scheme too :glasses:

3. oldmanstruck

oldmanstruck Member

Looks nice. So how much different compares to the 03?
    I currently have a 88 (easy to work on :)) and thinking about moving to a "newer" model in the future but don't know much about it.
    It will be great if you can share some info between the 2 model years. Thanks

4. pacman1

pacman1 New Member

Thanks! I looked high and low for this particular color scheme with cloth interior.

There are quite a few differences. The only repairs on the 03 that I've done is intake manifold gasket and replaced the alternator. The front (accessory drive) and top (intake/fuel injection) of the engines are completely different, so I'm sure I'll be finding out very soon which one is easier to work on. The 03 intake gasket was a piece of cake. The whole intake/injection unit lifted off as one unit with just a few nuts and bolts. And the alternator literally took me 10 minutes. I spent more time washing my hands afterwards lol.

This weekend I'm tackling the rough idle on the 99. I'll be cleaning the TB and IAC valve, and I might just go ahead and replace the manifold gasket. Plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor are on the list too. (Weird having a distributor again after all these years)

Anyone have any sage advice on curing the rough idle? My interwebs research tells me this is a pervasive problems with many possible solutions. I have no CEL on btw, so I don't the the computer is going to be any help with codes.

5. Naptime

Naptime Rockstar 100 Posts

Smart move. Good looking truck.

6. pacman1

pacman1 New Member

Grille guard is sold! You guys missed out on a real gem lol.