1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New OLD Suburban Owner

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Risky1, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Risky1

Risky1 New Member

Hi All,

Well, the 6th kid and a loss of a company truck was the push I needed over the edge. We have a 8 pass Sienna, but with the boat, and no more company truck, i could not see driving two cars to the lake all the time.

So the hunt began and ended with a 1999 suburban 5.7 K2500 4x4(manual) with 80k original miles. it has cloth seats, dual air, (and now a new stereo and speakers with bluetooth and ipod control) It began its life as a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service truck. I bought it from a guy who said his dad was a USFW employee and bought it from them about 10 years ago when he retired, drove it around a little bit, but then it sat, for a long time. when he died his son inherited it and did not want it. So 6k was all it took to take it off his hands. Of course it is white, with black fender flares and it has a vinyl floor (which I love! I can haul my 5 boys around and the scouts and no worries about the floor), but the body, and interior are in PERFECT shape. the seats don't even look they have ever been sat in.

It has the square single head lamps, roll up windows and a grommet in the roof where the radio antennae was. It is very utilitarian looking, which my wife does not like, but I love, but I do want to switch out the square headlamps with the more modern looking grill and headlamp assembly.

It starts and runs perfect and had all the maintenance records.

Only problems are. The door lock actuators... only work some of the time. I already ordered replacements. and my drivers door has the dreaded broken door handle (happened within two weeks of my owning it. I suspect because of the sudden increase in usage after not being used very much at all the last ten years). so I am rolling down the window and opening from the outside right now.

The air condition blows cold but i believe the blower motor is weak, as it doesn't not blow very hard at all.

I would like to track down a roof rack for it too.

I cannot find any information anywhere on specs for the gov trucks. I have no idea what gear ratios i have or anything. know where can I find that the square headlamps where even an option on base trucks. Can anyone tell me what tranny and rear end i have? it is a 5.7 liter k2599 4x4 with manual 4x4 shift.
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

As far as finding out what Transmission.....Gears and any other features, your 99" Suburban came with, go to the below Web Site, and enter the Suburban's Vin# Number and this Web Site, which is Called Compnine, will show you what it came with from the Factory,

Link to Compnine,
    http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
  3. Risky1

Risky1 New Member

Thanks for that link! So I have the 4L80E trans with 4.10 gears matted to the 5.7 engine. Awesome, thanks.
  4. '99Suburban

'99Suburban New Member

Also ebay has roof racks, just type in suburban 1999 roof rack
  5. '99Suburban

'99Suburban New Member

Awesome truck, take care of it and itll last you forever!!!!