1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Owner 2003 Silverado Ext Cab Z71, 5.3 Vortec, Heavy Duty Trailering Option

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by esbmann, Jul 22, 2013.

1. esbmann

esbmann New Member

Looking for any input from you die hard GMC folks like me. Just found a great 2003 Silverado , one owner with low miles. Would like to know more about the Vortec engine and was looking for possible websites that you could pass along. It has been recommended to me that I start using Synthetic Oil. Never have before. Looking for any advice on the subject. I plan on keeping this and driving the wheels off of it so engine longevity is important to me. Any technical info that is out there on this particular truck, the 5.3 Vortec and the Synthetic oils I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

Hmm. I always run synthetic in my 5.3 but as a definite answer to your question on oil. No clue.

I do know that 5.3's like to have an issue with the knock sensors if water gets down in there. But it's not a bad engine. I have 251,000 going on 252,000 and she's showing some old age signs but that's because she was abused before I got her.
  3. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

I've been using Mobil 1 in my vehicles for over 10 years and no problems. I highly recommend it.