New owner, a few questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by kennya, Apr 30, 2012.

1. kennya

kennya New Member

Bought a 2009 4x4 over the weekend knowing about a couple of problems. First, I got the Tighten Gas Cap DIC message. Loosened it and tightened it back up, no more message. Got it again today and the check engine light is on. Was close to the local Chevy dealer so picked up a new gas cap, but the check engine light is still on. Does it take awhile to go off?

Second problem. By looking at the valve stems on the tires, can you tell if the TPMS Sensors are present? I ask that cause on my vette and Camaro, the stems are metal. The ones on the truck are not, they are rubber and flexible. I ask this because the Service TPMS DIC message is present and the lighted icon on the gauge blinks for a bit and stays on. The tires are Kuhmo, not goodyears, so my first thought is that they didn't put the sensors back in when they were changed, or they didn't program them back to the truck.

My vette has the DIC, and I am able to go through a lot of info with the car, are the Silverado's the same? My truck does not have the DIC menu buttons, I have to use the trip reset stem.

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

2. Shiloh24

Shiloh24 New Member

If your truck is a half ton with P rated tires make sure all the tires are set at about 35 psi. Either there are no sensors, your tire pressures are all different, or they broke a sensor putting on the new tires. I think the maximum difference in pressure is 5 psi before the light sets off. Once you set all the tires at 35 take it for a drive and if the light doesn't go off you probably have no sensors or a broken one.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  3. kennya

kennya New Member

Thanks Shiloh. I plan on doing the re-learn for the TPMS this weekend, but thought I would post the question anyway. Hoping there would be a way to tell, guess I was wrong.

4. Shiloh24

Shiloh24 New Member

All the re-learn is going to do is learn the position of each tire it won't make the light go off. I would still go ahead and do the relearn though that way once all your tires are set at 35 psi and the lights still on you can take it to get the codes read and it will say which sensor(s) are not working.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  5. kennya

kennya New Member

So would I need to get the codes read at a dealer or could I take it to AutoZone?

6. Shiloh24

Shiloh24 New Member

You could try autozone. Im not sure if they can read Tpm codes or not.

7. kazoopolaris

kazoopolaris New Member

0446= EVAP solinoid more then likely its the cause..... clicky>>>>>>

or google it.....

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
  8. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  9. kennya

kennya New Member

Kaz, thank you, I will look it up.

Fleetwood, thank you! I am ordering that with in the next day or two....

To give you all an update. My coworker used to be a car salesman and he told me to just remove the positive battery cable for 15 or 20 minutes. I did and sure enough the lights are gone. I figured they would be, but he said that should reprogram the TPM sensors (he said that's what a lot of dealerships do). Anyway, I thought I would give it a try before I go and spend money on getting them checked at the dealer. The check engine is off as well, I am hoping the new gas cap will keep it off.

10. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Thanks for the update! ....let us know how it goes.....