New Owner - Key FOB start and NAV questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Captiva Sport Forum (Saturn Vue)' started by jamesk9, Jan 16, 2014.

1. jamesk9

jamesk9 New Member

New 2013 Captiva LTZ owner.. I have a few questions someone may be able to answer.

I bought the car used (11,000 miles) from a dealer and it came with the basic 2 button with panic remotes. Upon scrolling through the ,menu on the dash, I saw a setting for 'remote start'. If I buy a modern Chevy 3 remote with the remote start button. will it work without buying anything else for the captiva (like some type of module)?

Also Im looking for a factory looking in dash NAV unit to replace the factory radio. I saw a few on ebay from Hong Kong, that look like they were made for the Captiva. Has anyone here had any real-world experience with the quality of these.. or is there some other styles to recommend? Not looking for a pioneer or kenwood, but a factory looking replacement.

It particular - Im looking at this one . but not looking to install the 'extras' that this comes with. Basically just NAV, radio/mp3, and blutooth, maybe tie in the factory rear camera if it can be done easily.

Looking forward to exploring this forum... Looks like it can be a great place to be.

, James from Texas
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member

Welcome To GMTC!!! i am not sure on the remote. does the car have onstar? I know the new GMs can be started thru an app with onstar
  3. jamesk9

jamesk9 New Member

It has OnStar, but its not active.
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member

James, regarding the Factory Remote Start, on the Chevy/GM Trucks and SUV's, in order for the remote start to work, these Trucks/SUV's, need to have RPO Code "AP8" on the Service Parts I.D. Tag(White Sticker)inside their Glove Boxes, which is the Factory Remote Start "Prep-Package" and if they do have this "AP8"Code, then their Vehicle is setup up for the Factory Remote Start, but I'm not sure, if the same holds True for your 2013" Captiva??.....I would say check your Glove Box to see if you have this RPO Code AP8....

Here's what the Service Parts I.D. Tag(White Sticker) looks like
    [​IMG]

EDIT:.....Did some looking around and the RPO Code for the Factory Remote Start for a 2013" Captiva, is RPO Code "BTV" Remote Vehicle Starter System, James this is the Code you would be looking for the Glove Box.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  5. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

any remote you buy will have to be programmed, I believe it should not be an issue. and an LTZ without remote start seems kinda fishy.

As far as that nav is concerned, your in for one heck of a project, re-routing the air vents behind your dash, you will also need a lot more parts to get that to work.

personally, I would just try to deal with an aftermarket nav like a pioneer or what not. less work, less hastle, less things to go awry.
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

Jason I agree, regarding..."remote you buy will have to be programmed"...the RPO Code BTV, is the Remote Start Prep-Package, in order for the Factory Remote Start to work, .......Individuals need to buy the Remote Starter Kit, The Kit Includes Two Remote Fobs and an "Unlock Authorization Security Code" that the Dealer Needs when they call G.M.......And This System Must Be Programmed By Your Local G.M./Chevy Dealer.....
  7. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

you are correct, Still waking up. Time for another coffee.
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

Jason....same for me....:lol:
  9. Captiva13

Captiva13 New Member

Be aware, that system you linked is made for the Captiva that is sold in Europe, not the Captiva Sport that is sold in the US. That is why the vent openings are so different.

http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/cars/captiva/gallery/interior.html