1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Performance Headers ~ for 2003 Silverado 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by AKRide907, Jun 13, 2012.

1. AKRide907

AKRide907 Rockstar

Im thinking about buying some new headers for my truck. The old ones are pretty rusted out, and ive got to put a new exhaust system in because right now all ive got is a cat-back.

Anybody have any recommendations on a good brand for headers? I dont want to spend an arm and a leg for parts, but im not afraid to throw down $400 or $500 for some good parts, just not a couple grand.
  2. ChevyHD

ChevyHD Rockstar 100 Posts

Have you decided on long tube/ short tube? Long tube you get the most gains and the shortys are similar to your stock manifold. And I'm curious as to why you want a full exhaust if you already have cat-back and headers? Your manifold to cat is rusted out too?
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  3. AKRide907

AKRide907 Rockstar

I'm probably going to go with the long tubes. The cat-back is pretty noisy, even from inside the cab, and yea it a bit rusted out too, not as bad as the headers, but i really want to just redo the whole system. Ive got a guy who can help me fabricate some custom pipes since i want them to come out just after the running boards on either side of the cab. Any preference on material either? Chrome? Stainless? Ceramic?
  4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Ceramic coated is the way to go IMO. I've been wanting to redo my whole setup with something custom like long tube headers, performance cats into a 2 3/4 pipe and into a single in dual out muffler and dump under the bed.
  5. ChevyHD

ChevyHD Rockstar 100 Posts

X2 on the ceramic.
  6. AKRide907

AKRide907 Rockstar

Any ideas on who makes good long tube headers? Alaska doesnt have any emissions standards so im pretty much going to go balls to the wall with this and not even bother with putting any cats in, just attached some 2-3 inch pipe after the headers to go out behind the running boards.
    Ive been looking around a lot, and from what ive heard from some people i could just take long tube headers made for pretty much any 6L v8 engine with the same classic body style as mine, but they dont make many to begin with it seems... or maybe im just not looking in the right place for them.

Any recommendations?
  7. meandmyharley61

meandmyharley61 New Member

I have a 2005 silverado 1500. 5.3L. I just purchased a set of supermaxx headers and Y pipe with cats, made by dynatech. I live in new york! the whole system is stainless steel and I hade the headers ceramic coated inside as well as out. They have been on my truck for a week now. They look great! and I can realize quite a difference in the performance. No underhood heat either.