1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

New person interested in a burb. What is the consensus for years and models?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by muddwhumper, Feb 22, 2007.

1. muddwhumper

muddwhumper New Member

I would like to purchase a sub for a daily driver/trip vehicle. I will make some hauling trips 1-2 times a year with a 20' utility trailer with some farm implements etc. (Less than 5000 #) I would like heavy duty so componets don't wear out but I will mostly be driving unloaded and would prefer to keep my kidneys for later years. I have just found this site by wikepedia link and have been reading it--thank you who ever is working this site!!! Any info would be helpful in my search. I live in East Tenn and I will be willing to drive/fly to view and possibly purchase. Here are my desires (these aren't in concrete but preferable): rear air--that works, barn doors, 4X4, cruise, heated seats, and few if any repairs I would have to perform upon purchase. I dont want a wrench turner. I am leaning towards later year models like 99 and up but would consider older if I can verify condition and low mileage.

Whew. sorry so long but trying to be complete.

Thanks guys I appreciate any help or insight.

2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't know if it's still available, but you might want to check out this link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3842

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

personally, I like all the years of subs previous of say, 2006. When they started rounding the nose of the truck off, it really started to go downhill. I do like the OLD OLD body style of around the 90's era (which is why I bought one of that body style :) ). The mid 90s looked good and were true fuel-injection IIRC (which is always better to run with)

4. TrailLeadr

I've always like the suburban. I have to admit, I wasn't too crazy about the look of the '07 suburban. But the more I see them out there, the more it's growing on me. I think it has a very smooth look, but still retains the rugged suburban appearance quite nicely. Not too much of a departure from it's past self. Just looks like it's keeping up with the times.

If I had to make a suggestion outside of the link I posted previously, I would say any year has great qualities. But I would opt for something '96 or newer. I believe there was a significant improvement in engine management, once they went to OBDII.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  5. GWAGON_99

GWAGON_99 Rockstar 100 Posts

I currently own a 1999 GMC Yukon 1500 SLT 4X4 (which is virtually the same). I love my truck. It has a very comfortable ride but can also tow without a problem. My truck is rated right at 5000#'s but I can vouch that it will pull more although if I were pulling more than that regularly I would convert my rear brakes from drum to disc. You could also get a 2500 which would have a larger rear end and have a greater towing capacity and still get the tried and true 350 Vortec. Long story short (kind of) I have found that my daily driver Yukon is a very plush ride that I can easliy tow with. I usually tow my Jeep around on a 16' flatbed trailer. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

6. daanbc

daanbc New Member

I just thought I'd add my 2-cents. I own a 04. I love it! But the 07, Thats the cats meow. I love the look-sporty/fast but still rugged too.

7. muddwhumper

muddwhumper New Member

Are there any inherent bad qualities in any particular year?

I like the idea of the OBDII controller. What other options are vast improvements that I should look for. Some threads read the burb rides great but others said the 3/4 ton is rough riding. Opinions on any of that? or possible maintinance issues. I thought I read something about an axle seal or manifold seal going out.

8. TrailLeadr

I've not had the manifold gasket go on my 454, but rumor has it that the 350's have a tendency toward the manifold gasket failing after a time. I don't think this is isolated to any specific year.

I have a 2500, and it does ride stiffer than the 1500, but it's going to depend very much on what kind of rubber is on it, as well as the shocks used. I noticed a huge change when I went from Goodyear wranglers to Kumho ATs. The wranglers were like riding on stone wheels, where the Kumhos are a softer tire, and transfer less road imperfections into the suspension. A Good set of shocks will help you keep those kidneys a while. ;)

9. GM_Guy

GM_Guy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

have had very good luck with My 89, only repairs: replace alternator, and steering gear. very dependable. mine has the F51 heavy duty shock package, still rides very nice

10. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My Wife drives a 2001 Suburban 1500 w/5.3 Vortec. It's an LS but has leather Quad seats (1st and 2nd row bucket seats) and has premium ride suspension. We have towed a 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer (with no effort) and a 24' Weekend Warrior Toy-hauler (only down-fall, need more power for hills) but an exceptional ride and peppy hotrod when not towing. It is very roomy for our kids and cargo. Hers has the single door tailgate (It's nice to stand under when raining, and does not get in the way when loading large objects). My wife swears she will never own another vehicle besides a Suburban as she loves hers so much!