1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Piston Rings

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by KD7ONE, Aug 5, 2007.

1. KD7ONE

KD7ONE Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 90 Burban with a 350 FI engine. I need new piston rings. I was wondering what is the average cost to me if I have a mechanic do the job.
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'd say between 1000 and 1500 at least. Going that deep into the motor is going to be considered an engine rebuild. How do you know you need rings anyways?
  3. KD7ONE

KD7ONE Rockstar 100 Posts

Well, I have to add a quart of oil about every 2 weeks. there are no leaks anywhere.

I am suspecting that the oil is being burned because of blowbye, due to worn rings.
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

New Goodwrench motor for ~$1600

If it is going to cost you $1000-$1500(and that seems about right considering shop labor is $100/hr or so), you might as well get a new-not rebuilt,new-GM Goodwrench motor for the same $1500-$1600. I'm planning to do the same thing with my 196,000 mile motored Suburban(which is running good).It is possible it is just valve guide seals-does it give a good puff of smoke at startup,and then not smoke after warmup?
    If you have a lot of blowby it should run like crap(power down,and missing),and the plugs should be fouled?
    Luck,
    Charlie
  5. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

have you done a compression test? or a leak down test? the leak down will show if the rings are bad and you can get a short block almost anywhere for $499+ depending on what add ins you add. i do a leak down and see if it is valve guides or rings....mike