Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

New Place to Live

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Crawdaddy, May 29, 2009.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well, I am currently posting from my new living quarters. I purchased a Jayco Eagle 328RLS travel trailer today that I am going to be living in for the next few years. It's quite nice and quite spacious for how long and large it is. You may be asking, why live in a camper? First, it's "affordable". The only utilities I will have to pay is power and any internet/cable service I may use. I previously/currently (for the next 2 months or so) rented a house with my best friend and his wife for 2 years. While I enjoyed my time immensely with them, it's nice to get out on my own and to cut my operating costs down. Secondly I am now very close to my family, which is nice (at least for now... :gasp:) I will try to get some pictures of it up soon, but for now I'm going to have to leave ya'll hanging.

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sounds nice! Are you going to stay in the N/O area? I have a 39' Winnebago that we live in a couple of months at a time.

3. Crawdaddy

Yeah, I'm going to be staying on a piece of property my grandparents own. 39 foot, wow, that's a whopper. I imagine it's a Park model, because I can't see most campgrounds accepting something that long. I spent the weekend in the camper setting up the utilities and such, and it's nice. I have a couple of problems with the camper, most of which I think I can fix pretty easily. First off, is that there's a skylight right above my bed, and another in the bathroom area which is open to my bed. They wake me up right around 6am which is pretty annoying. Second, I'm still trying to determine locations where I can get cables into the trailer without drilling holes and such. And I think I've figured that one out too. As soon as I can get a decent camera I'll try to get some pictures.

4. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

well, sounds like an adventure. hope all goes well

5. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

sound like a learning experience, hope all goes well

6. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's great! All I can say is tow that baby all over America. You can stay over in a lot of Wal-Mart parking lots and there are so many great places to check out. I am planning that at some stage in my life, just not yet. This website (rvtravel.com) is run by a guy that is a full time RV'er. Lots of good info.

Have you considered doing it for a living? You could start writing travel articles and submit them to all sorts of travel publications and sites. That way your "travel" expenses become "business" expenses and you can write off a lot of your travel. (Try not to give Uncle Sam any more $$ than you have to legally.)

Maybe Steve will give you a spot to post your travel adventures.

Definitely put the Chiricahua Mtns in AZ and Moab in Utah on the list of places to see.

7. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Sounds nice. I traveled with my grandparents for a bit during a summer when I was in high school and really enjoyed it. It's nice to have a familiar place to get back to and relax after a day of site seeing. We started in WY and visited NE, MO, CO, ID, NV, AZ, and ended in CA. It was definitely an experience. I only hope that someday I can do that with my family. We'll see how the military treats me though lol.

-Greg

8. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

dang thats awsome. you can move wherever you want

9. Crawdaddy

Thanks for the kudos! Unfortunately, I can't tow it anywhere because my Suburban is not rated for it. I'm only rated for towing around 3000 pounds with the Suburban as it sits. I can tow closer to 6000 if I have 3.73s, but that's still not enough. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to convert up to 3/4 or 1-ton running gear, add some helper air bags, and strengthen the frame. Additionally, I'm not planningto move the camper for a few years as it's my primary and soon to be only residence.

Writing travel articles for a living...Well, I'd have a LOT to learn before I'd even consider writing. While I'm not new to campers, I'm not intimately familiar with all their nuances and still learning. However, I'll check out that site and I think I've already read a few articles off of it.

One thing that I really want to start exploring is solar power. I'm hoping to be able to become mostly self-sufficient for power using solar and possibly a backup generator for when utility grid power goes out. I just have to crunch the numbers for return on investment on the solar equipment.

10. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Cutting living expenses, getting off the grid and just livin it up. You have just stolen my dream. As much as I love technology i would love to go back to the way things were 100 years ago. I hope it all works out great for you. The amount of power you would need for that trailer is not significant so a solar system would definitely be a minor but great investment. Get a little larger than needed and sell the extra back to the grid. It will pay for itself rather quickly.