new projector headlights

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by reggiecab2000, Oct 11, 2010.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

i bought a pair of the dual halo projector headlights a little over a month ago, i sealed them all up and wired everything up, and through in my HID kit. Only complaint i have is that it doesnt seem to matter what bulb you put in the high beam housing, im running stage 2: 100 Watt nokya cosmic white, but have even tried the silverstars and a couple other brands. i think that so much effort was put into building these projectors that they didnt focus on the high beams at all, there is hardly any light improvement with the high beams on and its starting to bother me. even with HID in my stock housing low beams, when i flicked on the high beams you can see that there is light improvement farther down, which is what should happen. And it does seem weird that they built the halo right in front of the high beam lens which looks like it ruins the beam pattern of the high beam. And also the projectors dont seem to have improved my field of view much more than when i had my stock headlight housings with HID's. And going downhill with these projectors sucks!!! i can see maybe 50 feet in front of my truck and i have them aimed according to SAE/DOT standards. this is where the argument of performance or style could start. i want both but definitely performance comes first. i would just like to know anyones suggestions for this high beam problem or if i should scrap these projectors and throw my stock housings back on.

2. clgoch187

clgoch187 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

projectors usually have a smaller coverage area, and going to a brighter bulb isnt going to spread the beam out

3. reggiecab2000

yeah the low beam is a projector lens but the high beam is a regular open lens just like that on OEM, except with a halo ring right in front of it

4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yeah with the HID setup your gonna notice hardly any to no difference between your highs and lows. Thats just because the low beam is so brighter already. Almost all the people I know with them say they can never tell a difference. I personally don't know anyone trucks with HID's but I know people with cars love them. Trucks may have different results because they sit higher.

5. reggiecab2000

yeah i wouldnt expect the results to be far different but i could expect to see a small difference. but the only reason it makes me question it is because with my OEM headlight housings WITH HID in the low beam, there was still (not much) a difference with the highs on. but with these projectors it seems they didnt aim the high beams right because i can see their focus point and it is basically down on the road in front of me where the low beams are aimed. my highs dont bling people at all i believe i could drive with them on and noone would even notice.

6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

there will definately be a difference with HIDs in the projectors as compared to stock. the stock reflectors arent designed for HIDs and can actually be very blinding because of that. I have done the HIDs in the stock housing on my wifes care while I was fixing the aftermarket projectors (not super happy with them but I got them to be a little better). But you definately wont have as wide of a beam. the highs are definately funky on the projectors, they actually point pretty high up on hers and no way to adjust. so I can see when they are on cuz it lights up the middle to top of the trees:rofl:.

7. reggiecab2000

well it seems on mine that even when i need to see somethin down the road or look for a street sign the high doesnt give me that extra reflection to see it. with these new projectors when im lookin for someones house i have to go about 5 mph or simply going downhill i am amazed at how crappy it is to see down the road. i never had a problem with my OEM housings and i had them adjusted to the DOT standards. could anyone tell me honestly what have i gained/lost switching from my OEM housings to this new projector lens?

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

oh and before i get corrected i know that the projectors have that cutoff line so thats why i wouldnt see signs, but im talking about when i use my highs they simply dont seem to be aimed right

8. Block8head

Block8head Member

Aftermarket projector headlights are just for look... Most of the company that invented this crap just want to make quick money and doesn't want to spend money on the better projector lense and projector housing design...
    If you want to keep the projector headlights and want a better output on the light,go get yourself a set of HID projectors on ebay and retrofit them for a better light output ...

:)

9. reggiecab2000

is there any honest advantage or projectors over OEM other than it keeps you from blinding oncoming drivers (which even with my HID in my OEM headlights reflector housing i was never flashed at) is the light output difference a notable difference in any key aspects?

10. Block8head

Block8head Member

The HID projectors are all came off from the Cars that equipped with HID like" audi/acura/lexus etc...",the cut-off beam pattern is very sharp so it won't blind the oncoming traffics.The OEM halogen headlight is not build for HID uses unless you change the little shield inside the housing with the HID shield from the old escalade or navigator then you're Golden...... otherwise i keep the stock boring OEM for safety purpose.. :)