GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

New rear shocks need suggestions

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by croach1776, Oct 24, 2011.

1. croach1776

croach1776 New Member

I have a 96 silverado with 5.7. It has a 4" fabtech lift in front with fabtech front shocks. I dont know brand of rear shocks but they are
    air shocks that dont hold air from PO. I would like to install rear shocks that will help level Ole 96 or even raise the rear a little higher than the front. I have 15X8 rims with 33X10.5 all around. Would appreciate any suggestions on rear shocks. I want to stay away from air assisted ones. I have no experience with them but like to keep it simple. Thanks
  2. Royhunterkid

Royhunterkid New Member

your nit going to gain any lift with your shocks but u should look into rancho gas shocks
  3. croach1776

croach1776 New Member

The PO put air shocks on the rear which no longer hold air, so do you still think that a new pair of shocks wont supply any lift to the rear. Thanks for your suggestion, any particular model of the rancho gas.
  4. Royhunterkid

Royhunterkid New Member

The most cost effective would be rs5000 but some awsome shocks they make are the rs 9000 which are ajustable but they are pricey. my buddy has them on the front of his jeep and they are awsome. the only shocks i have seen make any lift are coil over which are like 500 a peice and for the front. The air shocks you have, by putting more air in them would cause the rear suspension to be stiffer. And the easiest way to bring the rear up yo where you want it would be to block the rear.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  5. croach1776

croach1776 New Member

I dont do any off-roading but in near future will be doing some hauling, cycle trailer, trailers, boats, etc so I need a shock that is good for towing and can accept the tongue weights associated with boats or trailers full of firewood. When you say adjustable are they air. I am kind of leary about the longevity of air shocks but really havent had any experience with them. I have some fabtechs in the front that i installed and they had to be adjusted prior to installation. I chose the middle adjustment and that was okay. Thanks for your suggestions.
  6. Royhunterkid

Royhunterkid New Member

The rancho 9000 is a nitrogen shock and easy to adjust on the shock there is a little knob you can turn and it stiffens or makes it softer if you want to research them more you can go onto rancho's web site and look more into them than i could tell you about.
  7. croach1776

croach1776 New Member

Thanks will do.
  8. croach1776

croach1776 New Member

Did some quick research and Advanced Auto has several deals for Rancho shocks the 9000 series too. Also came up with some called SkyJacker off 4Wheel Parts store, that has location close to house. 4 SkyJackers for less than 170 buck free shipping. Read mostly good reviews on them, not for extreme offroading but most crazy I get is jumping curbs to jet around traffic jams. Anyone have opinion on the Skyjackers, if they are decent I would be able to get four of them for less than two of the Rancho rears. Thanks
  9. chico

chico New Member

The best I've found or used are edelbrock extreme IAS shocks ,they are a bit pricey but give an excellent ride and control.
  10. croach1776

croach1776 New Member

Thanks. Guy I had working on radiator said that I have some front end issues, power steering pump and maybe steering gear box, plus I need to have someone with experience with lifts get the front end aligned. Probably going to postphone the rear shocks and fix the front.
  11. The Heater

The Heater New Member

Is this a half ton truck? You appear to want "lift" for towing. Well, you don't need any "lift". If you are not overloading the truck rear end with whatever you are hauling or towing, your best suspension assistance is with air bags from Air Lift. They don't "lift" the rear but they keep it from going down with a load.

As far as shocks, I am using Koni shocks. Have used them on several other vehicles. Most expensive shocks out there for a truck, but they are awesome. Fully adjustable.
  12. croach1776

croach1776 New Member

Rear end does need some lift but I know that shocks arent the answer. Thanks for the Koni suggestion.
  13. The Heater

The Heater New Member

Hi, Croach:

I thought I read in another post of yours that your truck has a 4 inch lift. If it does, you have to check with the manufacturer or distributor about the shocks you buy to make sure they fit a truck with that amount of lift. (Maybe you have to go with Rancho products or a competitor, since they specialize in shocks for trucks that have been lifted.)
  14. croach1776

croach1776 New Member

I think I will take it to a shop that specializes in off-road setups. Get pricing on raising the rear with appropriate shocks all around. Thanks