1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New reprogrammer

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by W1T3OUT918, Jun 21, 2013.

1. W1T3OUT918

W1T3OUT918 New Member

SuperChips,,knock sensor

I have just newly acquired the superchips cortex reprogrammer. just wondering if anybody else out there has messed with these at all or has any advice on whats the best tuner setting for my 4.8L z71. i have tuned it to the 87 octane (which felt to me it reduced power) and the performance tune mode and back to my stock mode. Seems the performance tune mode has the best overall improvements and is actually shown while driving. i was also wondering if i may have to change out my mass air flow sensor? Also with me running the Perfromance tune mode it says to run 91 octane and i just halfway filled up with 91 since i was running 87 thru it, but it keeps giving me a check engine light (code is the knock sensor) just wondering if i keep running 91 thru it, if it will end up adjusting and no longer give me the trouble code?
    :neutral:
    CORTEX 1.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  2. W1T3OUT918

W1T3OUT918 New Member

got a 104 views but no replies???
  3. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 100 Posts

With the performance tune... you should run 93 octane. Try adding a can of octane booster and see if your code goes away.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

remember it might take your computer a few cycles to set up to the programmer.. Give it a day or 2..
  5. W1T3OUT918

W1T3OUT918 New Member

yeah, i have been running 91 thru it since i put this on here, one person told me that the code comes on due to the fact of that electrical wire that senes the knock gets wet and may ruin the wiring and thats why i keep getting it. its only when i really get on it also that the light comes on,,thanks for the input guys!!!!:great:
  6. TimTom64b

I'm thinking if you did not get the trouble code before the new tune... then it not a wiring problem. My guess is not enough octane. Especially since you say you get it when you put you foot into it... that is where it would knock when under load. Like I said put some octane boost in or try rolling it back off to stock and see if it goes away. You really do not want to run it much if its knocking as it can damage the engine over time.
  7. W1T3OUT918

W1T3OUT918 New Member

yeah i was wondering if it would damage the engine or what if it keeps giving that sensor,, i will try some of the octane booster like you said. it had given me the code only like once or twice before but it would go off after a bit of driving. if it keeps doing it im probably gonna just reset it back to stock,or stock with options.
  8. toyracer83

toyracer83 New Member

Good to know. I am looking at programmers and have not decided which one yet.
  9. Rockman18

Rockman18 New Member

Is this a common occurrence I wonder? I will be looking to get a tuner hopefully pretty soon and don't want to have any issues like this myself.
  10. TimTom64b

There are allot of benefits with adding a tune... they do allot of things like advance the timing, fuel mixture, shift points etc. Many have guidelines with regards to minimum octane requirements for settings such as stock, sport and performance. I have bad two tuners over the years... bully dog and a diablo trinity. Both have worked well... but my diablo has more options with regards to custom tuning. I would highly recommend diablo to anyone looking a tuners.