1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NEW rigid dually D2 reverse lights

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by reggiecab2000, Aug 14, 2013.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

well I already have aftermarket HELLA tailights, with a decently bright reverse light bulb...
    in addition I added, over a year ago, HELLA FF-75 fog lights for aux. reverse lights too
    NOW, I have added a set of wide beam Rigid Industries Dually flushmount D2 lights into my rear bumper.

IMG_3363 (640x480).jpg

hardest part was finding the best spot to mount them with nothing interfering behind them.
    dremel started it, then moved to sawzaw to finish the square holes

IMG_3450 (640x480).jpg

IMG_3451 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_3452 (640x480).jpg

a little before and after photos: (just the D2's lighting)

IMG_3453 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_3454 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_3455 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_3456 (640x480).jpg

so obviously due to the shape of the bumper and how it curves these lights are aimed WAY downward, but even at that they are bright as hell!
    I will adjust eventually to aim up a bit more. definitely worth the investment.
  2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Just out of curiosity, why do you need reverse lights that are brighter than most people's headlights?
  3. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

This is what I was wondering. Those are hella bright! You must do a LOT of backing. :p
  4. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

thats a good question!

I just think backing up is one of the more precarious events that needs all the help it can get...
    Since my rear window is tinted so dark, even when I added the HELLA FF-75's it still wasnt bright enough for my tastes, and i dont like the idea of having to stick my head out the window to see behind me, in which case, the lighting was plenty adequate, but what if it was raining?
    These lights literally tipped the scales for me, so I now can see through the tinted window behind me, or use my mirrors with the windows up and everywhere has plenty of light now...
    I guess the beach is the main concern since its flat white sand, it really kills your usable light since it really doesnt reflect yellowish light well at all, these lights will also double as work/utility lights as well, such as backing up to or hooking up a trailer or anything else...

oh and i did not mention it, but i went ahead and routed these to a switch instead of with my reverse, since thats the wiring provided with the light and i didnt feel like altering it......
    now all i have to master is self control.... so as not to use these in retaliation to tailgaters! though Idont even want to imagine how much trouble that would get me in...
  5. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Ok, that makes 100% sense.

When I live in Florida I had a pickup with really dark tinted windows ~20% tint, but with the actual little factory tint it was ~11%. I had a hard time backing up at night, I would have to roll the window down and stick my head out. I put a small driving light on the rear bumper to help me back up as well.

When I lived in Florida, a lot of old folks would drive with their high beams on right behind you, I turned the backup light on and they got the message to shut their brights off.

My new 2013 Silverado has a back up camera, so it makes it a lot easier backing it up at night.

My 2008 Silverado had no back up camera and therefore it was really dicey backing that thing up at night. I bumped one of those stupid yellow short fire hydrants with my 2008 as I had NO IDEA it was behind me. Thankfully I bumped the hydrant with the trailer hitch.

You are also probably a fancy parker too.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

A set of lights like that comes in real handy when launching or recovering boats at night, depending on the ramp its very hard at times to tell how far down the ramp your trailer is with the weak factory back-up lights. They come in handy while hooking up to trailers at night too.
  7. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Love the work and its a great idea. I have never seen lights placed in the bumper like that. :great:
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow, them's some bright backup lights. You go offroad into the deep dark woods where you need to be able to have daylight when backing up so you don't back off a cliff?

- - - Updated - - -

That was my next question for you. I had a friend do this to his old International Scout, but he did it (so he says) to get rid of tailgaters, but in reality he did a lot outdoors and often wanted to get up into places that no one (well, no one driving a 60's International Scout) should want to drive to, so he had to use the lights to get back down safely when following some crazy logging trail up the mountains.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to bring rain into the parade, but these legal? Just asking the question. I'm looking really quickly on lighting for TXDOT and I can't see anything about it, can't have blue or red lights facing forward, have to have minimum lighting, etc. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/VI/lighting.htm
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

For your purposes, I think they are great; but just curious, did you invest in a relay to protect the reverse circuit?
  10. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

what did you spend on those? might be something I look at doing.

Alex