1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New rubber 265/70R17

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by dark star, Jan 4, 2013.

1. dark star

dark star New Member

The stock tires on my new(to me) 09 Silverado 4x4 pickup are 265/70R17.
    Would i have any clearance issues going to a 275 or 285 mm tire.
    The truck is otherwise stock, no lifts etc.
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You may have trouble with the 285s. When I had a leveling kit, my 285/70/17s came fairly close to rubbing. I'd lean more towards the 275s.

PS...I moved your thread to our tires/wheels section.
  3. dark star

dark star New Member

Thanks for the advice, I have about 50% wear
    and thought i would start the search.

Cheers
  4. mfleetwood

If possible, have the tire shop mount up the 285s and check.

When I purchased my 315/70/15s (35s), the retailer I purchased my tires from did that for me at their suggestion and we found the largest tires that would fit, which by the way were smaller than what I originally thought would fit.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  5. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 New Member

On the older trucks if you cranked the torsion bars it would just clear 285's but on the new trucks you would need to either get a spacer block for the coil-overs or a set of the quick-lifts that are basically like loaded sturts that are taller.

mfleetwood, I love the stance of your truck. Thats what I want for my truck but unfortunately I can always either afford a lift or a set of tires, not both.
  6. mfleetwood

Thanks Tim! And yes, it is pricey and was tough for me to do all at once. I waited to get my lift until it was on sale ($500 off Rancho promo, which happens periodically), I installed the lift myself, and then rolled around on the 33s I already had for a while until I needed to get new tires anyway.
  7. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

I have 2 separate body styles of trucks, look at my signature, and NEITHER of them need any lift to fit 285s, I have taken them off roading and never had rubbing or damage to the tire or body from suspension compression and them hitting anything either. You should be just fine going to a 285 tire. My dad has an 08 z71 and I know 285s fit on that without clearance issues or having to put in any spacers.
  8. mfleetwood

Just keep in mind that just because it is a 285 does not mean that the diameters are the same. The 3 digit number, in this case 285, indicates the width of the tire. For example, the difference between a 285/70/17 and 285/75/17 is about an inch in diameter. My answer was based on the OP's reference so I kept the 70/17 in mind when responding to the 285 vs 275. I also am running the 70/17 combo and have an NNBS, so we are pretty close as far as comparison purposes.

I noticed in your sig, you have a 285/75/16s and it's not a NNBS, which means it may not be exact match to use as an example. But, since you used your Dad's NNBS truck as an example as well (which is I think is a much better comparison to use than your vehicles), it would be helpful if you included the rim and sidewall size so the OP can compare more accurately. Again, a 285/75/17 is about 1" larger in diameter than a 285/70/17.
  9. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

I didn't mention aspect ratio(side wall) as he wasn't asking about it only the width size, all of mine are stock ratio just went to 285. My dad has factory 18s and I know others with factory 17s that went to a 285 with no issues
  10. Kady

Kady New Member

^^^ I don't think he gets it
    1 person likes this.